After 'Charlie Hebdo' Police Raid, The Kouachi Brothers Are Still On The Loose
On Wednesday night in Paris, the youngest Charlie Hebdo suspect surrendered to authorities, leaving the whereabouts of his two alleged accomplices — named by police as the Kouachi brothers, French nationals Said and Cherif — still unknown.
According to French newspaper Le Point, authorities orchestrated a raid on an apartment in Reims, a city about 90 miles northeast of Paris, where officials believed the three suspects were hiding. The Agence-France Presse also reported that a police raid was ongoing in Reims Wednesday night. The Telegraph reports that a police raid Wednesday night turned up empty and the suspects are still at-large.
Earlier on Wednesday, authorities confirmed the identities of the three suspects, who allegedly killed at least 12 people and wounded 11 others when they stormed the offices of the satirical weekly, opening fire on its employees. Several of the publication's leading cartoonists were killed in the attack, including Georges Wolinski and Jean Cabut. Charlie Hebdo editor Stephane "Charb" Charbonnier was also among the victims.
Two of the suspects, Said Kouachi and Cherif Kouachi, are French nationals and believed to be brothers, police confirmed. The other suspect, Hamyd Mourad, who surrendered to police, is an 18-year-old man whose nationality is unknown.
Authorities were reportedly able to identify the suspects after finding an ID card in the car the suspects used to flee the shooting. The suspects abandoned the car following the shooting.
Local French news outlet France3-ChampArdenne posted photos from the police raid on Twitter as the operation unfolded. Around 7 p.m. EST (1 a.m. France time), France3-ChampArdenne tweeted "#CharlieHebdo opération de police terminée," or "the police operation is completed."
With at least two suspects still at-large, the Direction Régionale de Police Judiciaire de Paris appealed to residents early Thursday morning, asking for information on the Kouachi brothers. Police warned that the subjects were "armed and dangerous," and invited citizens to contact the DRPJ for clues about their possible whereabouts.