If More Designers Made Scented Candles Like Karl Lagerfeld, What Would They Smell Like?
Karl Lagerfeld has released a new line of... wait for it... scented candles. According to WWD, they're available in three varieties: "Oud & Bois de Santal, with notes of hazelnut, sandalwood and vanilla, Figue & Poivre Noire, containing notes of fig tree, cardamom and cedar, and Essence Rare, including cinnamon, incense and patchouli notes." They come in holders containing Lagerfeld's famous profile, and are being sold at select London boutiques.
The Lagerfeld candle scents seem appropriate. The descriptions are exactly what a very rich, very old person would smell like. But what if more designers started releasing fancy candles? What scents would they have? Here are our predictions.
1. Marc Jacobs: Pineapples and chocolate, a tribute to his tattoos
2. Alexander Wang: Asphalt, baby powder, and the sweet smell of early success
3. Manolo Blahnik: Vanilla ice cream
4. Betsy Johnson: Pink roses and leather
5. Tom Ford: Whatever Justin Timberlake smells like and champagne
6. Donatella Versace: You know the drink "Sex on the Beach"? Donatella Versace candles would smell exactly like that – vodka, peach Schnapps, and juice
7. Valentino: Oranges
8. Ralph Lauren: What does boring smell like?
9. Oscar de la Renta: Orchids and Earl Grey tea
10. Kanye West: Gold, frankincense, and myrrh