After what felt like the longest hiatus in the history of television hiatuses, Shondaland Thursdays are finally back. And although I've missed my favorite shows, I'm feeling totally unprepared. How I am supposed to emotionally and mentally handle Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, and How to Get Away With Murder back all on the same night?! There's only one answer: Alcohol. Fortunately, all three shows (and their glorious themes and cliches) lend themselves perfectly to a #TGIT drinking game. And since it's impossible to love just one Shonda Rhimes-produced show, chances are good that you'll be on your couch from 8-11 pm ET on Thursday night, this game will get you good and drunk before Viola Davis ever graces your screen.
Of course, if you have to go to work on Friday morning, playing this game might not be the best idea, but with these shows, a little bit of a hangover might be worth the incredible TV you're about to witness. It's no secret that Rhimes' leading ladies love their booze, so I don't doubt that all three of our favorite female TV heroines would fully sanction what's about to go down between us and our liquor cabinets on Thursday night.
Ready? Let's do this thing.
You will need:
- A large, Olivia Pope-style wine glass and a shot glass
- Classy liquor, like a fine whiskey or scotch
- Meredith's favorite: tequila
- Red wine
Take a shot of tequila when...
- A doctor does something they could totally get fired for
- You think Callie and Arizona might get back together
- You think Callie and Arizona are definitely separated for good
- Geena Davis is angry about something
- The Jackson/April situation legitimately makes you cry
- A doctor takes his shirt off inside the hospital
- You realize how much you don't care about the residents' storylines
Take a sip of wine when...
- Fitz says something sexist
- Olivia Pope abandons her virtues and runs back to Fitz
- Jake is the hottest guy in the room
- Something that happens between Huck and his son makes you weep
- Olivia Pope takes a sip of wine
- Olivia's mom, Maya, scares the bejeezus out of you
- Olivia's outfit is on point
- Olivia says, "it's handled"
- When you hear the word "gladiator"
Take a sip of your classiest alcohol when...
- You wish Annaliese Keating was your professor
- Annaliese Keating actually scares the crap out of you
- Someone does something illegal
- You wonder what would happen if Annaliese went to Olivia Pope to get something handled
- You realize the current episode is about to give you nightmares
- You think you figured out who killed Lila
- You begin to become paranoid about people in your own life
Down your entire drink when...
- Someone's long-lost relative shows up with severe emotional baggage
- Someone tells a lie
- You realize that, even halfway through the season, you are still vastly unqualified to get away with murder
- You start to wonder if B613 is a real thing
- An episode ends on a cliffhanger
- You feel personally victimized by Shonda Rhimes. Again.
Images: ABC; Giphy (4)