Emotional Testimony From The Boston Bombing Trial

The jury for the Boston bombing trial is set to enter its second day of deliberations on Wednesday over whether 21-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is guilty of any of the 30 counts facing him. Tsarnaev's defense lawyer Judith Clarke all but said she expected a guilty verdict, and if that's the case, the question then remains whether the 21-year-old will face the death penalty. The prosecution team called 92 witnesses during the seven-week trial as emotional testimony from the Boston bombing trial was a solemn reminder of what was lost that fateful April afternoon.

A number of survivors took the stand to recount horrific details of smoke and blood after two pressure-cooker bombs detonated near the Boston marathon's finish line on April 15, 2013. Nursing student Jessica Kensky, who lost both legs in the attack, testified she was so shocked and concerned about her husband, Patrick Downes, she didn't realize she was on fire. She described the horrific scene as "mass chaos" and said all she could hear was "animalistic screaming."

Another witness, who arrived in the moments after the explosions, recalled the stench of burning tissue and blood. In court, James Bath said he was walking by the marathon when he heard two explosions and saw runners scrambling away from the finish line. The doctor said he arrived at the scene where the second bomb had gone off and testified, "it looked like people had been dropped like puzzle pieces right on the sidewalk." In total, the attack left three people dead and injured 264 others.

The youngest victim, Martin Richard was one of the three people killed in the bombing. His father William Richard took the stand and described the heart-wrenching choice he made to leave his 8-year-old son Martin behind in order to take care of his daughter Jane, who lost her leg in the attack at the age of 7, and his older son Henry, then-11 years old.

I saw my son alive, barely, for the last time. I saw a little boy, who had been severely damaged by an explosion, and I just knew, from what I saw, there was no chance.

Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old restaurant manager, was standing on Boylston Street near the finish line when a bomb left by Tsarnaev's older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, went off. Campbell was also killed in the attack. Friend Karen Rand McWatters, whose leg had to be amputated, recounted dragging herself to Campbell and shared the final moments of her life.

I got as close as I could to her. There was so much chaos and so much screaming. For some reason, I got close to her head, and we put our faces together. I never really looked at Krystle’s injuries. She very slowly said her legs hurt, and we held hands. Very shortly after, her hand went limp and we never spoke again.

Lingzi Lu, a 23-year-old international student at Boston University, was the third person to die in the bombing. Fellow student Danling Zhou recalled her excitement about attending her first marathon with Lu and another friend. Zhou said she used her own hand to keep her internal organs from spilling out of her stomach. Only later in the hospital did Zhou learn her friend had died.

I didn’t think I should waste any energy yelling. If I’m yelling, I would bleed faster. I know that help is coming but it’s hard, just to wait there like that.