Sabra Recalls 30,000 Classic Hummus Cases Because Of A Potential Contamination Of This Bacteria
Say it isn't so. To the horror of pita bread lovers everywhere, Sabra has recalled 30,000 Classic Hummus cases nationwide due to a possible contamination of listeria monocytogenes. The Virginia dip maker has voluntarily pulled five of its products off grocery shelves and is urging customers to get rid of their hummus if they're listed as possibly affected. The potential contamination was discovered after a routine random sample taken at a retail location on March 30, 2015, tested positive for the bacteria by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, according to a Food and Drug Administration notice.
The cases that were possibly contaminated were only shipped to U.S. customers. If you have Sabra Classic Hummus in your fridge, you should immediately check product codes and use by dates. Affected products include:
- Sabra Classic Hummus 10 oz, best before May 11, 2015 or May 15, 2015 (UPC 040822011143 or SKU 300067)
- Sabra Classic Hummus 30 oz, best before May 11, 2015 (UPC 040822014687 or SKU 300074)
- Sabra Classic Hummus without Garnish, best before May 11, 2015 (UPC 040822342049 or SKU 301216)
- Sabra Classic Hummus 17 oz six-pack, best before May 11, 2015 (UPC 040822017497 or SKU 301290)
- Hummus Dual Pack Classic/Garlic 23.5 oz, best before May 11, 2015 (UPC 040822342209 or SKU 301283)
Listeria monocytogenes is an organism that can cause serious, and sometimes fatal, infections in young children, elderly people, and people with weakened immune systems, according to the CDC. The bacteria can cause healthy folks to suffer short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headaches, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. In pregnant women, a listeria infection can lead to miscarriages and stillbirths. The company has said there have been no reports of illnesses caused by these products.
If you have any of the listed hummus products, you should immediately dispose of it or return it to where it was purchased for a full refund. If you have questions, you can call toll free at 1-888-957-2272, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT.