One of the first messages I ever saw was from a guy with the username "RuinHer" – so you can imagine how that played out.
Lots of people (usually women who are interested in men, though people of all genders and sexualities encounter such horrors) give up on OkCupid because they can't take the barrage of graphic descriptions of sex acts, racialized sexual harassment, and general weirdness. However, there is hope, because maybe you'll be one of the many to meet someone you really like. Plus, there are ways of lessening the random messages you receive if you answer certain survey questions on your profile. So, to help you survive the wild and sometimes disturbing terrain of OkCupid, here are some suggested responses for shutting down gross/weird gentleman callers (if you don't just hit “delete message” first):
1. When you get a cheesy "hey baby"
2. When You Get A Gross Question
3. When You Get A ....
Why not try something
with a fun and up-to-date reference like, “Have you tried
AskJeeves? Hope this helps with whatever your question is!”
4. When You Get A Sexist Greeting
"Misogyny kills." (protip: the
dude you are messaging does not know what misogyny means [or
what feminism means] but you do not have the time to teach
an online gender studies course to OKC trolls. LIVE YOUR LIFE, GURL)
5. When You Get A Longwinded Message They Think Is SO Clever
6. When You Get An Emoji Challenge
7. When You Get A Message That's A Symptom Of The Mansplaining Epidemic That We All Know And Hate
8. When You Get An Offensive Message That Also Has A Big Typo
"Oh no!!! Did someone in the
Louisiana Association of School Business Officials hurt you in your
9. When You Get A Message That's All About Your Body
10. When You Get An Agressive Message
"Hi, quick question, have you talked to a woman before?"
11. When Someone Doesn't Understand Poetry
"lololol by Emily
Images: Tina Leggio/Flickr; Instagram (8); Facebook (3)