Updates To Amtrak Train Crash In Philadelphia As Photos & Videos Emerge From The Scene

On Tuesday evening, an Amtrak train was en route from Washington D.C. to New York when seven train cars derailed at Frankford Avenue and Wheatsheaf Lane in Philadelphia. Updates to the Amtrak train crash in Philadelphia show authorities still searching through the wreckage as dozens of passengers have been reported injured. There were 238 passengers and five crew members on board Train 188, officials said.(Update: Seven passengers have now been confirmed dead.)

Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter said in a news conference five people were killed in the crash. Early reports estimated at least 50 people were injured, according to NBC Philadelphia, though the extent of their injuries were not yet disclosed. Secondary searches began late Tuesday night for other passengers still trapped inside the train. People searching for information about friends and family on the train are being directed to call the Amtrak Emergency Hotline at 1-800-523-9101.

Nutter told reporters:

Unfortunately, we can confirm at least five individuals deceased. This is preliminary estimate. The train's seven cars, including the engine, are in various stages of disarray, turned over, upside down, on their side. We're still investigating what's going on.

The cause of the crash is still unknown, though the FBI, which was on the scene, said there was nothing so far that indicated the derailment was caused by terrorism. The National Transportation Safety Board tweeted it was "gathering information about tonight's Amtrak derailment in Philadelphia." All Amtrak services between New York and Philadelphia were canceled Tuesday evening, Amtrak said via Twitter. Bustle's request for comment from Amtrak were not returned as of Tuesday night.

Photos and videos captured by passengers showed people crawling and climbing out of emergency exits. Outside, passengers appeared to be waiting in the streets while authorities continued to search for other people who may still be in the wreckage. Local CBS reporter Matt Rivers tweeted video of passengers who could walk boarding a SEPTA bus to head to a hospital for evaluation. Others were shown to be giving statements to police.