Emilia Clarke Might Star In 'Terminator 5,' Already Has Plenty in Common With Sarah Connor
Here's some potentially awesome casting news: Now that the Terminator sequel is officially underway, apparently some big names are being thrown around for the project — like, say, the mother of dragons. According to Uproxx, Emilia Clarke might portray a young Sarah Connor in Terminator 5 , as she's currently testing for the role along with 21 Jump Street's Brie Larson, The Wolf of Wall Street's Margot Robbie, and one other unnamed actress.
Of course, none of this is confirmed right now, so we're really only working with rumors — but this could be great! Emilia Clarke's career is, without a doubt, going to blow up soon thanks to Game of Thrones, and we already know she has the ability to portray super badass women. If they're going to reboot the Terminator franchise, they may as well do it with this gal on board. As of now, according to The Hollywood Reporter , all we know of the film is that Arnold Schwarzenegger will be returning as a Terminator robot who is protecting a young Sarah Connor, and it'll be set in "multiple time periods."
This means that Sarah's son, John Connor, and his father, Kyle Reese, will be involved in the plot as well — apparently Tom Hardy and Garrett Hedlund are in the running for those roles, respectively. Daenarys and Bane as mother and son? Comic-Con might explode.
If Clarke does, in fact, end up taking the role as Sarah Connor, it would do wonders for her already hot career, if the effect it had on the original Sarah Connor, Linda Hamilton's, is any indication. Plus, she seems like the only Hollywood actress worthy of taking on the role right now — she already has a ton in common with Hamilton's Sarah Connor. Like the following:
- Both played badass women in their most popular roles — Hamilton had Sarah Connor, and Clarke has feminist mother of dragons, Daenerys Targaryen, on Game of Thrones.
- Both portray women who are super-protective of their offspring — Daenerys has her dragons, whom she would do anything for, and Sarah Connor has her son, John.
- Both have some sort of association with Lena Headey — Clarke stars with her on Game of Thrones, and Headey actually portrayed Sarah Connor in the ill-fated Terminator TV series.
- Both play badass, tough women in their most well-known roles, but they can still balance the delicate, emotional scenes as well (hello original Terminator!) — an important skill.
- They are both the strongest actors in their franchise, despite being from huge ensemble projects — Hamilton stole every scene she was in despite starring alongside Schwarzenegger, and Clarke was virtually unknown before becoming the most recognizable player amongst countless well-known actors in Game of Thrones.
It's pretty much a lock then, right? Not quite: Sarah Connor will be back, but there's still some time before we determine who will fill Linda Hamilton's combat boots. After all, Terminator 5 is currently slated for a July 1, 2015 release date.