I know... Not another thing you're required to do now that you've passed over the dreaded line between your carefree 20s and your you-should-probably-get-that-mole-checked 30s... Wasn't starting a savings account (finally) and making a concerted effort to not pop the rosé until noon (at the earliest) enough?
I'm with you 10,000 percent but since we can't turn back time (yet) we may as well embrace some of the beautiful things about stepping into this new age range. For example: 1. You know who you are (a little better). 2. You know what you want (a little more). 3. (This is the best one) You are done keeping your mouth shut (if you ever did)! That's good because there's a whole category of new subjects you might find battling for space in your brain. No more bottling the emotions and no more dishonest reactions. It's like that adorable Dr. Seuss quote we all learned in 1st grade (and re-learned when we saw it on Pinterest last week): “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind, don’t matter and those who matter, don’t mind.”
Let's celebrate that perfect sentiment with a list of things you should fully be prepared to say (out loud) now that you're over the 3-0 hump.
10. "Listen, I need you to buy me tampons at the grocery store. Just grab the first multi-pack you see and get the hell out of there."
9. "I don't want to go to that party with you because I don't like any of the people who will be there, at all."
8. "I’m sorry, did you just say you got pregnant on the VERY FIRST TIME TRYING?!"
7. "When are we going to have kids? When we're ready. When will we be ready? When we're ready."
6. "I don’t want to have sex tonight, and I don’t have a reason."
5. "We've seen seeing each other for a few months now, and I'd like to know if this is going to turn into a relationship, or not."
4. "Thank you for this offer. Given my experience level and past performances, I’d like to see if your company can come up 10K on the base starting salary."
3. "I'm sorry. I'm probably not going to have time for a lunch or coffee in the near future, but keep in touch and be well!"
2. "You don’t have to go through with this wedding if you don't want to. We’ll run you out the back door and we'll handle telling everyone."
1. "Oh my god... my mother used to say that exact same thing... I'm becoming my mother..."
Good luck out there ladies. And remember, when in doubt honesty is the best policy. For recommendations on exactly the right word choice, drink two martinis.
A version of article was originally published at 20-Nothings.com.
For more articles like this try:
Images: Giphy (10)