Step aside, boo boo kitties! The nominations for the biggest night in television are out and Taraji P. Henson was nominated for a 2015 Emmy Award for Best Actress in a Drama Series. This is so exciting! I can't even believe this is happening, the whole category is almost too perfect. The Oscar nominated actress hit mainstream fame with her role as Cookie Lyon on Empire. The Fox series may pretend to be about a father and his three sons, but the matriarch is the true breakout.
Henson has been nominated for several Screen Actors Guild Awards over the years and was nominated for an Emmy in 2011 for her starring role in the television movie Taken From Me: The Tiffany Rubin Story. This is her first chance at the Best Actress category in a television series and I can't wait to see if she takes home a trophy.
Not only is Taraji P. Henson super entertaining in the role, her acting chops shine through. Cookie Lyon has to put on a lot of hats to succeed in this business that she's been out of for so long. Television needs more female characters like Cookie Lyon who aren't afraid to be both bossy and vulnerable. Still, she has some killer quotes. Whether she's putting down fake-ass Halle Berry/Lena Horne or asserting her place in the movie industry, Cookie Lyon has some of the best moments on Empire. Here are some of her best quotes to celebrate her Emmy news.
1. "The Name is Cookie. Ask About Me."
2. “You need to stop rappin’ like you from the streets, ’cause you not about that life!”
3. "Yeah, 'difficult.' I know that word. You see, y'all like to toss us to the side when you can't control us anymore because you're lazy and you don't want to do your job."
4. "Just 'cause I asked Jesus to forgive you don't mean I do."
5. "What you mean by 'you people?' You Black like me."
6. "She got her drawers wrapped around my baby's neck. And he can't breathe."
7. "Oh, I get it. So Yoko Ono here wants to play on the song, too. Well, what can you do, Yoko — can you play the tambourine?"
8. "The streets ain't made for everybody. That's why they made sidewalks."
9. "I know what Hakeem needs, and it's not some debutante with a bougie ear who doesn’t want to disturb her pearls.”
10. “You gonna Ray Rice me?! I’ve faced bigger in prison with more talent, bitch!”
11. "You Want Cookie's Nookie? Ditch The Bitch."
12. "Shut up, Dora!"
13. "Porsha, get my damn shoe!"
14. "And God, Please Do Not Withold Your Blessings, Even From Ho's That Hire Skanks To Spy On Me. In Jesus' Name, I pray. Amen. Hallelujah."
15. "Yeah, straight down the hall to the right. Then jump out the window and straight down."
16. "You lose your soul when you feel like the world's forgotten you."
17. "Pretty White Girls Always Are, Even When They Ain't."
18. "Listen to me. You different. OK? It's only something mama knows, but it's gonna make life hard for you sometimes. But I want you to always remember I got you."
19. “All right, look, girl, I don’t judge. But you's a freak and that’s a good thing. We can sell that.”
20. "You know I was never into wearing all them damn weaves. Girls walking around with their scalps smelling like goat ass."
21. "I Want You To Remember Mommy Loves You. Never Forget That, Okay?"
Images: Michael Lavine/FOX; Giphy (21)