When you think of Halloween, humor might not be the first thought to cross your mind — but you know what, perhaps it should be. As these funny Halloween 2017 quotes for Instagram captions make clear, as spooky as Halloween may be, it's also just as hilarious. I mean, think about it: It's a holiday where people dress up in ridiculous costumes and collect pieces of candy from their neighbors. And when you outgrow that? You're still dressing up in ridiculous costumes and guzzling down pumpkin-themed cocktails instead of cashing in on fun-size candy bars. It's not a bad trade-off.
Enjoy a laugh or two with the help of these quotes, which are also perfect to be used as an Instagram caption on the night of the holiday. Halloween does fall on a Tuesday this year, so if you're feeling bummed about being stuck in an office all day, this roundup should help keep a smile on your face until it's time to clock out and let the festivities begin.
From Tim Burton and Ann Hood to Rodney Dangerfield and L.M. Montgomery, an eclectic group of people make up this grouping of hilarious quotes, and their senses of humor will have you laughing for a whole array of reasons. Enjoy some laughs today, after all, once the sun goes down, it's time for the horror!
1. “It’s all just a bunch of hocus pocus!” — Max, “Hocus Pocus”
2. “Every day is Halloween, isn’t it? For some of us.” — Tim Burton
3. “We were a family that made our Halloween costumes Or, more accurately, my mother made them. She took no suggestions or advice. Halloween costumes were her territory. She was the brain behind my brother’s winning girl costume, stuffing her own bra with newspapers for him to wear under a cashmere sweater and smearing red lipstick on his lips.” — Ann Hood
4. “There is nothing that gives more assurance than a mask.”— Colette
5. “The first horror film I remember seeing in the theatre was Halloween and from the first scene when the kid puts on the mask and it is his POV, I was hooked.” — David Arquette
6. “I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.” —L.M. Montgomery
7. “I’m cool with people dressing up as Eleven for Halloween. I definitely want to open my door and give them candy.” — Millie Bobby Brown
8. “A grandmother pretends she doesn’t know who you are on Halloween.” — Erma Bombeck
9. “Some people are born for Halloween, and some are just counting the days until Christmas.” — Stephen Graham Jones
10. “Every Halloween for six years, I was a Ninja Turtle, and Mikey was my favorite. The turtles really made me who I am today. They got me into martial arts, meditation, surfing, skateboarding; big time influence on who I am today.” — Greg Cipes
11. “If human beings had genuine courage, they’d wear their costumes every day of the year, not just on Halloween.” — Douglas Coupland
12. “On Halloween, the parents sent their kids out looking like me.” — Rodney Dangerfield
13. “There is nothing funny about Halloween. This sarcastic festival reflects, rather, an infernal demand for revenge by children on the adult world.” — Jean Baudrillard
14. “I only eat candy on Halloween. No lie.” — Michael Trevino
15. “The worst thing about Halloween is, of course, candy corn. It’s unbelievable to me. Candy corn is the only candy in the history of America that’s never been advertised. And there’s a reason. All of the candy corn that was ever made was made in 1911. And so, since nobody eats that stuff, every year there’s a ton of it left over.” — Lewis Black
Check out the entire 'What's Up, Boo?' series and other videos on Facebook and the Bustle app across Apple TV, Roku, and Amazon Fire TV.