What's the scariest day of the year? Halloween, of course! And thanks to these scary Halloween quotes for Instagram captions, you can spook out all of your digital friends and followers as well. From some classic William Shakespeare lines to a Bram Stoker quote, this roundup of classic quotes will have you turning on the lights and locking all the doors. There's no messing around here.
Halloween can be pretty spooky, and if you scare easily, these quotes might give you the goosebumps. See how easily you spook by taking some time to read through them all. If you don't scare easily, then at the very least, these quotes can still inspire you to go all out for the holiday. Either way, it's a win-win.
Every holiday takes some time adjust to, and Halloween is no exception. That being said, you want to start getting excited about Oct. 31 a couple of weeks in advance so that you can get going on your costume and holiday plans. Let yourself be terrified by these quotes — if nothing else gets you pumped for a night of toil and trouble, these terrifying quotes most certainly will.
1. “Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.” — William Shakespeare
2. “When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.” —Anonymous
3. “I love Halloween, and I love that feeling: the cold air, the spooky dangers lurking around the corner.” — Evan Peters
4. “There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” — George Carlin
5. “Men say that in the midnight hour, the disembodied have power.” — William Motherwell
6. “Listen to them — the children of the night. What music they make!” — Bram Stoker
7. “Shadows of a thousand years rise again unseen. Voices whisper in the trees, ‘Tonight is Halloween!’” — Dexter Kozen
8. “During the day, I don’t believe in ghosts. At night, I’m a little more open-minded.” — Anonymous
9. “By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.” — William Shakespeare
10. “’Tis the night — the night of the grave’s delight, and the warlocks are at their play; Ye think that without the wild winds shout, but no, it is they — it is they.” — Cleveland Coxe
11. “I must go in. The fog is rising.” — Emily Dickinson
12. "Hark! Hark to the wind! 'Tis the night, they say, When all souls come back from the far away — The dead, forgotten this many a day!" — Virna Sheard
13. "They that are born on Halloween shall see more than other folk." — Anonymous
14. "Nothing beats a haunted moonlit night on All Hallows Eve.... And on this fatal night, at this witching time, the starless sky laments black and unmoving. The somber hues of an ominous, dark forest are suddenly illuminated under the emerging face of the full moon." — Kim Elizabeth
15. “As spirits roam the neighborhoods at night, let loose upon the Earth till it be light.” — Nicholas Gordan
16. "At first cock-crow the ghosts must go back to their quiet graves below." — Theodosia Garrison
17. "The witches fly across the sky, the owls go, 'Who? Who? Who?' The black cats yowl and green ghosts howl, "Scary Halloween to you!" — Nina Willis Walter
18. "It's Halloween! It's Halloween! The moon is full and bright and we shall see what can't be seen on any other night. Skeletons and ghosts and ghouls, grinning goblins fighting duels, werewolves rising from their tombs, witches on their magic brooms. In masks and gown we haunt the street and knock on doors for trick or treat. Tonight we are the king and queen, for oh tonight it's Halloween!" — Jack Prelutsky
Check out the entire 'What's Up, Boo?' series and other videos on Facebook and the Bustle app across Apple TV, Roku, and Amazon Fire TV.