Veteran's Day is upon us, which means that there's no better time than now to reflect on what the servicemen and servicewomen of this country have done to provide American citizens with peace and safety. This Nov. 11, take special note of these 18 Veterans Day Quotes to share with your friends and family. Saying "thank you" is important, and if you can't put into words just how thankful you really are, then these quotes will do it for you.
Chances are that you know somebody who has served in the military. Whether it's a family member, a friend, or a neighbor, make sure you take a moment today to thank him or her for their service. If you yourself, are a veteran, then know how appreciated you really are: America would not be what it is without your service.
These 18 Veteran's Day quotes get to the heart of the holiday They will remind you of how important service is, how selfless veterans are, and how fortunate we are to have them. If you're really feeling like you want to do something significant for veterans this holiday, by all means, please do. Donations go a long way, as do kind words, and whatever else may come to mind as a way of saying "thank you."
1. "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." — Patrick Henry
2. "Honor to the soldier and sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country’s cause. Honor, also, to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field and serves, as he best can, the same cause." — Abraham Lincoln
3. "This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." — Elmer Davis
4. "In the face of impossible odds, people who love this country, can change it." — Barack Obama
5. "My heroes are those who risk their lives every day to protect our world and make it a better place — police, firefighters, and members of our armed forces." — Sidney Sheldon
6. "The willingness of America’s veterans to sacrifice for our country has earned them our lasting gratitude." — Jeff Miller
7. "A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself." — Joseph Campbell
8. "In valor there is hope." — Publius Cornelius Tacitus
9. "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." — John Fitzgerald Kennedy
10. "Better than honor and glory, and History’s iron pen, was the thought of duty done and the love of his fellow men." — Richard Watson Gilder
11. "The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage." — Thucydides
12. "America’s Veterans have served their country with the belief that democracy and freedom are ideals to be upheld around the world." — John Doolittle
13. "On this Veteran's Day, let us remember the service of our veterans, and let us renew our national promise to fulfill our sacred obligations to our veterans and their families who have sacrificed so much so that we can live free." — Dan Lipinski
14. "We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude." — Cynthia Ozick
15. "How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!" — Maya Angelou
16. "Honoring the sacrifices many have made for our country in the name of freedom and democracy is the very foundation of Veterans Day." — Charles B. Rangel
17. "American without her soldiers would be like God without his angels." — Claudia Pemberton
18. "America’s veterans embody the ideals upon which America was founded more than 229 years ago." — Steve Buyer