Bustle and Coveteur are working together to bring you the best mix of the season's fashion and beauty releases, shopping tips, and service stories in ways that are both inspirational, and attainable. Check The Fall Style Edit channel weekly to see what we're up to.
Trends are a fact of life, but certain things are evergreen — the smell of Christmas trees, red lipstick, and classic denim. Although, like a Taylor Swift song, America's favorite fabric never goes out of style, oversized denim jackets in particular are having a real moment for Fall 2017.
Jean jackets are perennial faves because they go with everything, have a timeless feel, and are essentially a three-season item, meaning you can get a ton of use out of them throughout the year (c'mon, don't tell me you've never faced near-arctic air conditioning in July). A good denim jacket should be the Lorelai to your Rory Gilmore: "All you have to do is call..."
But the 2017 iteration feels different from the many decades of denim that have come before. We're seeing boxy '80s silhouettes decked out with some truly modern details like ruffles, visible stitching, and embellishments. You can elevate a simple outfit to Instagram style star status with these pieces, or find your perfect wear-it-forever match. The possibilities are endless.
Today's jean jackets aren't an afterthought, they are the main event. The 30 options below could potentially revolutionize your outerwear game for fall, and make saying goodbye to summer less bittersweet.
1. The One With The Lace Collar
2. The One That's All Stitched Up
3. The One With Contrasting Detail
4. The One With The Pearls
5. The One That Makes You Look Tough
6. The One That's Long-Line
7. The One With Subtle Distressing
8. The One That Looks Vintage
9. The One With Cute Star Patches
10. The One That Sums Up "Normcore"
11. The One With Racing Stripes
Subtle detailing on a denim jacket is nice because it doesn't take away from the toss-over-anything appeal but still adds interest.
12. The One That Is Actually A Kimono
13. The One That Won't Keep You Warm
Missguided Plus Shredded Denim Jacket, $79, ASOS
Cute and kind of impractical, like most good things in this life.
14. The One That's Seen It All
15. The One Your Boyfriend Is Always Trying To Steal
Because denim is for everyone.
16. The One That Makes Everyone Ask Where You Got It
The Oversized Jean Jacket: Embroidered Edition, $168, Madewell
Meet my fiancé, Floral Jean Jacket. We're getting married at City Hall this weekend and you aren't invited.
17. The One Lined With Faux Shearling
Wilfred Free Hartnett Jacket, $198, Aritzia
C'mon, you knew I'd include one of these.
18. The One With A Unique Cut
19. The One Bruce Springsteen Would Love
The Oversized Jean Jacket: Bandana Edition, $225, Madewell
*Hums "Born in the U.S.A." quietly to self.*
20. The One With Cold Shoulders
For when you want to do the absolute most.
21. The One For Your Inner Ballerina
Tighten the Reins Lace-Up Denim Jacket, $90, Nasty Gal
I can't think of a better use for old pointe shoe ribbons, TBH.
22. The One That Isn't Blue
Plus Size Pink Distressed Denim Jacket, $85, Missguided
A basic denim jacket gets the millennial pink treatment.
23. The One Spike From 'Buffy' Wears In His Downtime
24. The One That's Business In Front, Party In Back
25. The One You Can Personalize
The Oversized Jean Jacket in Capstone Wash, $128, Madewell
Did you know that you can get any denim item from Madewell monogrammed with nine letters or less for $10? Here is your moment!
26. The One With A Marbled Wash
27. The One That's Colorblocked
28. The One That Looks Kind Of Professional
29. The One That's Just So Pretty
30. The One Kendall Jenner Would Wear
Don't try and tell me that Kendall Jenner and Gigi Hadid don't have a super expensive version of this jacket that they share, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants-style.
So maybe you're not about to buy all 30 of these jackets, but honestly, no one could blame you if you did. After all, when it comes to denim, can you ever really have too much of it in your wardrobe?