Jerry Lewis Quotes That Show He Was Truly An Insightful Comedian
Comedy just lost another legend. It was confirmed on Sunday afternoon by John Katsilometes of the Las Vegas Review-Journal that legendary comedian Jerry Lewis died Sunday morning at the age of 91. Lewis' publicist has also since confirmed the news to Bustle. According Katsilometes and Lewis' agent, the actor and director died of natural causes in his own home around 9:15 a.m. PST. There are plenty of Jerry Lewis quotes that show why he has been the master of comedy and insight for all these years.
Lewis dominated Hollywood in the 1950s as one of the boldest faces in comedy at the time, appearing in several big box office hits alongside Dean Martin. And he stayed pretty busy throughout his entire career. In 2016 he starred in Max Rose, a film about a musician who learns that his late wife may have cheated on him early on in their marriage. News of his death is definitely a shocking and hard pill to swallow, to say the least. The comedian was well known for his onstage persona but, offstage, he also dropped a few gems from time to time that can pretty much be considered relatable to anyone, Hollywood or not.
1. "When you walk in front of an audience, they are the kings & queens."
The full quote is actually "I learned from my dad that when you walk in front of an audience, they are the kings and queens, and you’re but the jester. And if you don’t think that way, you’re going to get very, very conceited." Lewis said this during an in-depth interview with the New York Post in which he explained where he got his comedic chops.
2. "I got good health, I still got pretty hair, I'm still rocking. That's sitting on top of the world about as high as you're going to get."
This one comes from an interview with Esquire, and it pretty much rings true no matter who you are.
3. "I tell young comics, 'Do you want this badly enough? It's there. But you have to go get it. And if you think I'm going to give you the key to the lock of that door, there is no key, there is no lock, and there is no door.'"
The comedian spoke to GQ back in 2011 and discussed all that it takes for one to be considered a great comedian.
4. "I've had great success being a total idiot."
It's true: Lewis' blunt jokes and brash ways of storytelling catapulted him to success. His fearlessness will definitely be missed.
5. “I’m taking Lasix, which makes me pee sometimes seven, eight, eleven, twelve times. I’ve decided to keep my fly open all day.”
He was never one to be cautious about anything he said, so it's no surprise that Lewis was able to make lighthearted jokes about his old age in an interview with GQ.
6. "Fame is a big beautiful balloon surrounded by a lot of boys with sharp pins."
Lewis perfectly summed up fame during an interview with Rolling Stone back in 1982.
7. "If I couldn't do it my way, I'd best stay at home."
Another gem from his interview with Esquire back in 2009, this quote is pretty much another way of saying, "Go big or go home."
8. "I've got so much to do."
Lewis made this statement to GQ in 2011 about death and making the most of his final years.
It's clear that Lewis' words will live on.