If you don't love cheese, I can't understand you as a person. OK, maybe I'm being a little melodramatic — but as these quotes about cheese for National Cheese Day make clear, a cheese lover's adoration for the dairy product is one that can rarely be matched by anything else in the culinary world. If you love cheese, you really love it... and I'm one of those people. (And, as it turns out, so are these authors!).
Cheese goes well on just about anything. Bread? Yup. Pasta? Yes, please! Crackers? Duh. Whether you're all about the sharp cheeses or prefer to stick with something soft, it seems that there is a cheese for everybody on this planet, and then some. In fact, according to cheese.com, there are over 1,700 types of nameable cheeses in the world (and new ones being created everyday, I'm sure!). Now doesn't that make you feel like you have a whole lot of work to do? Well, Jan. 20 is the day to do it.
I hope you spend today eating cheese slice after cheese slice, and if you need any motivation at all, make sure you take a read through these National Cheese Lover's Day quotes.
1. “Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.” — M.F.K. Fisher
2. "A dinner which ends without cheese is like a beautiful woman with only one eye." — Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
3. "Blue cheese contains natural amphetamines. Why are students not informed about this?" — Mark E. Smith
4. “Age is something that doesn’t matter, unless you are a cheese.” — Billie Burke
5. “Splendid cheeses they were, ripe and mellow, and with a two hundred horse-power scent about them that might have been warranted to carry three miles, and knock a man over at two hundred yards.” — Jerome K. Jerome
6. "Cheese is one of my great weaknesses, I could eat the stuff by the pound." — Helena Christensen
7. "Cheese is milk's leap toward immortality." — Clifton Fadiman
8. "How can anyone govern a nation that has 246 different kinds of cheese?" — Charles de Gaulle
9. “This is your wine and cheese crowd, and nothing ever goes wrong at such events.” — Richard Messener
10. “Once we hit 40, women have about four taste buds left: one for vodka, one for wine, one for cheese, and one for chocolate.” — Gina Barreca
11. "The early bird may get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese." — Jeremy Paxman
12. “You have to be a romantic to invest yourself, your money, and your time in cheese.” — Anthony Bourdain
13. "The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." — G.K. Chesterton