You may already know that a quality backpack should be durable, lightweight, and comfortable. But for ski excursions, you'll want one that also boasts special features that everyday packs lack. When looking for the best ski backpacks on Amazon, consider the following elements:
- Carry system: You’ll need a convenient way to carry your ski equipment while hiking. These specially designed straps will typically be diagonal or A-frame for skis and vertical for snowboards.
- Hydration sleeve: Staying hydrated is important, so look for a backpack that comes with a built-in hydration sleeve or at least has the compatibility for one.
- Tool compartment: A dedicated tool compartment will allow you to adjust your bindings easily while on the mountain.
- Goggle pouch: You can stash an extra lens when you're skiing at the resort or store the full setup when hiking in the backcountry.
- Helmet holder: Your helmet will take up a lot of space in your bag so a special compartment is a great way to free up extra room.
- Shovel holder: A shovel is a critical safety feature whether you're digging someone out of a tree well or responding to an avalanche.
- Avalanche safety pocket and ice axe retainers: These backcountry-specific features will come in handy when trekking or mountaineering.
The right backpack for your needs will largely depend on whether you're skiing in the backcountry or just resort riding — safety features will be more important for the former. But my list of the best backpacks for skiing has something for everyone.