Today in “reasons to stay in bed and never leave because even seemingly harmless household objects can kill you dead”, a woman in Vancouver, Washington, was shocked to find a can of hairspray had exploded through the windshield of her car due to the heat.
Karmen Ayres had left the can of hairspray on the back passenger-side set of her car before going into work that morning. Temperatures in Vancouver reached the low-nineties (which doesn’t seem *that* high?), and the heat transformed the aerosol can from a trusted, hair-maintenance sidekick to a high-speed projectile of death and destruction.
“At first I looked up because I thought maybe something fell,” Ayres said about discovering the can protruding from her window in an interview with local news station WHAS 11. “But then I noticed it was from the inside out. I was in shock and then I realized what it was.”
“It launched like a rocket,” she added.
The can flew from the back seat through the windshield, shattering and lodging itself in the glass above the driver’s seat, whizzing straight through the space usually occupied by the very hair it was meant to protect.
As an insurance salesperson, Ayres has heard about other objects exploding in hot cars. Check out the list of other objects that can explode in hot cars, or crank up the AC, lower the shades, and don't go outside out until things have cooled down.
Word to the wise, don't leave hairspray in your car on a hot day! A Vancouver woman had quite the surprise after her can heated up pic.twitter.com/K2ctFQN0qc— Devon Haskins (@devonhaskins) May 24, 2017
Wine, beer and soda.
Summer's here, joy oh joy, summer's here! A time for parties and picnics and rose all day. Just make sure you bring all of your quaffable goodies with you on your way to that backyard barbecue, because when left in the heat, wine, beer, and soda can potentially explode, ruining the interior of your car.
Even if they don't explode, exposing wine and beer to high heat can affect their composition and complexity, and nobody wants to show up at a party with *gasp* non-complex wine.
The pressurized liquid gas inside a disposable lighter can become extremely dangerous when exposed to heat, exploding and/or burning holes in a car's upholstery.
Sure, exploding cans and bottles get all the attention because they're loud and fast and they can fly, but extreme heat can also quietly affect whatever medication you may leave behind in your glove compartment. The compounds in certain drugs can be altered if exposed to high temperatures for long periods of time, reducing their efficiency.
It's probably a good idea to keep your condoms on you this summer — not just so you're ready whenever the mood may strike, but because prolonged exposure to heat weakens a condom, increasing the risk of pregnancy or STDs.
(This is also why should toss that condom you've been carrying around in your wallet since freshman year of college.)
Whether you invested in a sweet new pair of shades for the summer, or you just need glasses to, you know, see out of your eyeballs, don't keep your frames in a hot car. High heat can warp and damage lenses and frames, destroying your glasses.
So as you get ready to enjoy the warm months ahead, keep in mind that your car is basically a death microwave on wheels that will ruin anything you leave behind in its molten-hot womb. Have a great summer!!