Why 'Sex And The City 3' Is Canceled Could Be Explained In Many Ways
On Thursday September 28, our goddess of Manolos confirmed to Extra that Sex and the City 3 is canceled stating, "It’s over… we’re not doing it." The oddest aspect of the conversation was the complete lack of reasons offered by the actor. In fact, what Sarah Jessica Parker went on to say sounded more like they were actually tantalizingly close to making the third movie. So, why did the Sex and the City 3 movie get dropped?
Parker confirmed it had been greenlit and said,
"I’m disappointed. We had this beautiful, funny, heartbreaking, joyful, very relatable script and story. It’s not just disappointing that we don’t get to tell the story and have that experience, but more so for that audience that has been so vocal in wanting another movie."
OK, but if it had already been greenlit and had this ultra relatable script and story (admittedly, the one thing nobody has ever expected from the aspirational franchise), why aren't we getting it. Well, according to The Daily Mail, there was one culprit: Kim Cattrall and her "outrageous demands." The tabloid claimed that she demanded that Warner Bros produce her other movies that were in development or "she wouldn't sign up for the project." Is there any truth in this? According to Cattrall, absolutely not. However, also according to her, she may have made a totally different demand.
Which could be a good explanation as to why the movie never happened (and, after all, Parker never actually states when all of this took place). But it doesn't necessarily seem true that the blonde was the only obstacle in the way of a third movie.
There was also the question of one Miranda Hobbes AKA Cynthia Nixon. In 2015, she seemed pretty firm on the question of whether or not there should be another Sex and the City movie when she told The Guardian that audiences "don’t need another Sex and the City" because they'd all already learned the show's key wisdom. "Marriage isn’t the be all and end all in women’s minds any more," she continued. "And women are friends with each other in a way that rivals their romantic relationships."
While promoting her new film The Only Living Boy In New York on the Today Show in August 2017, it sounded awfully like Nixon may be running for governor of New York, and thus wouldn't necessarily have had the time or desire to shoot another movie, either. On being questioned about rumors about her running for office, the actor gave an answer that sounded nothing like a denial, saying,
"You know, I think there are a lot of people who would like me to run. I think for a variety of reasons but the one number is education, I've got three kids who are either in public school or came through the public school system, we've got a real problem in New York state, we are the 49th in terms of equitable funding."
Sounds like she's done her homework.
Even if Nixon, despite her possible political aspirations, is totally down to shoot another movie, there's yet another compelling reason as to why the third movie may have been nixed. Despite our former Carrie's talk about how much the public wanted another movie, we shouldn't forget the reception the second film met with in 2010. While the Sex and the City sequel was a box office success, earning over $288 million worldwide, it was critically panned, with Sex and the City 2 being nominated for seven Golden Raspberry Awards and winning three of them. It may simply be that, while Parker liked the script, the studio was anxious that it would be as much of a critical failure as the last movie.
So don't lay this squarely at Cattrall's feet — while it may simply be, as she herself has stated, that she didn't want to do the film, it's just as possible that the truth is more complicated.