The 2000s were a weird, awkward, amazing, and beautiful time, depending on where you were, what you were doing, or whether or not your hair was crimped. Personally, I graduated high school in 2009, which means my high school in the 2000s experience is slightly skewed toward the ~later years~. There are so many things about high school that are universally sh*tty: graduation, prom dates, curfews, and not being old enough to do anything cool, or anything other than hang out in your friends' basements. But then, on the other hand, there are a few universally wonderful things about high school — like, for example, not paying your own bills.
Luckily, for those of us who kicked it, relaxin’ all cool in high school in the 2000s, we had the Vitamin-C graduation song to get us through the hard times, like applying to college when every other kid of the Baby Boomer generation was applying. Plus, we knew how to look damn good in our lightly flared jeans and graphic tees. And spent a lot of time talking about Lost by the lockers, while texting (one letter at a time) on our flip phones, with broken screens (that we may or may not have shared with our siblings). Here are 11 underrated things about going to high school in the 2000s:
1. Trucker Hats Were The Most Chill Accessory Ever
~~How To Live Large~~
2. Your Parents Were Still Terrified To Let You On Facebook
And wouldn't let you show your face in your profile picture. It was a simpler time.
3. Graduating From Aeropostale Jeans To Abercrombie Was A Treat
And then there was that casual Hollister period in the middle...
4. Speaking Of Treats, Going To Get Slurpees At 7/11, À La Juno, Was A Big One
Blue mouths for days. (Also, how precious is baby Ellen Page?)
5. Those Short Skirts That Were Tight And Tube-Like At The Top, And Then Had Ruffles Below, Were All Anyone Wanted To Wear To A School Dance
And those skirts looked weird as all hell. Especially when paired with our super tight wife beaters.
6. And The Go-To Slow Dance Songs Were "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" (Slightly Dated, Even Then) And "You And Me" By Lifehouse
It was the height of romance.
7. You Burned So Many CDs, And Then Categorized Them In Your iTunes Based On Who Burned You The CD
And when it was from a cute boy or girl it was ~oh la la~, exciting.
8. Classic Date: Mall Then Movies, With Some Light Flirting At Friendly's And/Or Some Over The Pants Action In The Car
Actually... maybe that's just high school in general. But the kids now probably aren't seeing Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist in theaters on a date.
9. YouTube Videos (And The Whole Concept Of Viral Videos) Was Just Starting To Become A Thing
In the late 2000s, everyone watched "Harry Potter Puppet Pals," and "Let's Get Some Shoes" video 100 times each.
10. Your Greatest Concern Was Whether Or Not To Upgrade From A Regular (Slightly Heftier) Flip Phone To A Razr
The iconic Razr phones, and the choice between silver, pink or black: it was the best of times, it was the worst of times. (The worst of times with those bedazzled cases.)
11. If You Went To High School In The Early 2000s, You Got To Come Home And Watch Brand New Sex And The City Episodes, And Friends Episodes
And that was a blessed freaking time to be alive.
Images: Paramount Pictures; Giphy (11)