The secret to writing an amazing wedding speech? Seeking out a few perfect maid of honor quotes that sum up just how beautiful the couple's union is. Just last month, I was maid of honor in my friend's wedding, and had the task of figuring out what to say during my maid of honor speech about a friend who means so much to me. As anyone who has pondered how to write a maid of honor speech knows, it's incredibly difficult to keep a speech short and sweet when a friendship encompasses so much — two to three minutes, really? Even though I'm a wedding coordinator and know that long speeches can go downhill fast, it was super challenging to get my speech within my own two-to-three minute maid of honor speech guidelines.
My friend, however, is a gal who loves inspiring quotes, so I decided to base my whole speech around three short quotes that spoke to the wonderful person she is, how much her new husband loves her, and their marriage together. It was great having three quotes in my maid of honor speech to focus on, because it helped me figure out what each part of the speech would be about — and it helped me keep it short.
Another great friend of mine was married last year, and she is also a gal who loves inspiring quotes about love. When dating before their marriage, she and her husband would collect quotes about love and relationships for one another (how sweet!). For their wedding, they decided to share many of the quotes with their wedding guests by decorating their centerpiece vases with them — and many of the quotes they collected are included here.
So between these two weddings, I've come to be a huge fan of love quotes being incorporated throughout the wedding day. They never get old. Everyone loves them. And quotes add a meaningful touch to wedding receptions just as well as they do to wedding ceremonies — though quotations for wedding ceremonies seem to be much more popular.
Whether the bride is your sister, your best friend, or someone you just met (it happens, right?), here are 25 great quotes for your maid of honor speech.
1. "Love is a symbol of eternity. It wipes out all sense of time, destroying all memory of a beginning and all fear of an end." — Author Unknown
2. "Success in marriage does not come merely through finding the right mate, but through being the right mate." — Barnett R. Brickner
3. "After the chills and fever of love, how nice is the 98.6 degrees of marriage! " — Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960
4. "It was only long after the ceremony that we learned why we got married in the first place." — Lois Wyse
5. "Don't marry the person you think you can live with; marry only the individual you think you can't live without." — James C. Dobson
6. "We have the greatest pre-nuptial agreement in the world. It's called love." — Gene Perret
7. "Love seems the swiftest but it is the slowest of all growths. No man or woman really knows what perfect love is until they have been married a quarter of a century." — Mark Twain
8. "Here's to matrimony, the high sea for which no compass has yet been invented!" — Heinrich Heine
9. "It takes a loose rein to keep a marriage tight." — John Stevenson
10. "Marriage is not a ritual or an end. It is a long, intricate, intimate dance together and nothing matters more than your own sense of balance and your choice of partner." — Amy Bloom
11. "The real act of marriage takes place in the heart, not in the ballroom or church or synagogue. It's a choice you make not just on your wedding day, but over and over again and that choice is reflected in the way you treat your husband or wife." — Barbara De Angelis
12. "A good marriage is one which allows for change and growth in the individuals and in the way they express their love." — Pearl S. Buck
13. "The more you invest in a marriage, the more valuable it becomes." — Amy Grant
14. "There is no remedy for love but to love more." — Henry David Thoreau
15. "If only you could love enough you would be the happiest and most powerful being in the world." — Emmet Fox
16. "The moment you have in your heart this extraordinary thing called love and feel the depth, the delight, the ecstasy of it, you will discover that for you the world is transformed." — J. Krishnamurti
17. "It is the things in common that make relationships enjoyable, but it is the little differences that make them interesting." — Todd Ruthman
18. "Love is a force more formidable than any other. It is invisible — it cannot be seen or measured, yet it is powerful enough to transform you in a moment, and offer you more joy than any material possession could." — Barbara De Angelis
19. "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is to love and be loved in return." — Natalie Cole
20. "The most wonderful of all things in life, I believe, is the discovery of another human being with whom one's relationship has a glowing depth, beauty and joy as the years increase. This inner progressiveness of love between two human beings is a most marvelous thing, it cannot be found by looking for it or by passionately wishing for it. It is a sort of Divine accident." — Sir Hugh Seymour Walpole
21. "Let the world stop turning, let the sun stop burning,Let them tell me love's not worth going through.If it all falls apart, I will know deep in my heart,The only dream that mattered had come true...In this life I was loved by you." — Bette Midler
22. "A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it." — George Moore
23. "A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person." — Mignon McLaughlin
24. "To keep the fire burning brightly there's one easy rule: Keep the two logs together, near enough to keep each other warm and far enough apart — about a finger's breadth — for breathing room. Good fire, good marriage, same rule." — Marnie Reed Crowell
25. "Everyone has two choices. We're either full of love... or full of fear." — Albert Einstein
Want more of Bustle's Sex and Relationships coverage? Check out our new podcast,I Want It That Way, which delves into the difficult and downright dirty parts of a relationship, and find more on our Soundcloud page.
Images: Pexels; Giphy (6)