13 C.J. Cregg Quotes From 'The West Wing' To Use When You're Shutting Down The Haters
Have I mentioned yet today just how obsessed I am with Allison Janney's character C.J. Cregg from The West Wing ? Because it's kind of a problem I have. Not only is she quick, witty, incredibly good at her job, and intelligent, but she's a total badass and she doesn't give an eff what you think of her. Aaron Sorkin wrote the part, and then Janney brought it to life in a way that will stick with me forever; anytime I get in a pickle or things seem hard, I summon the idea of C.J. Cregg like a patronus to banish the dark thoughts and shine a stark beam of realness into things. Or just tell me to suck it up and deal with it, which is just as helpful.
It's like a secret skill that I keep in my pocket and bring out whenever I need it, but you can use it too. I find that dropping a C.J. Cregg bomb is helpful in any situation, but particularly when you're trying to shut down a hater. (You can still refer to them as "haters" even if it's not the early 2000s anymore, right?) Something about C.J. Cregg's fierce delivery, cool-calm-collected demeanor, and razor sharp wit makes her words into the verbal equivalent of a door slam. BYE, FELICIA.
1. When Someone Accuses You Of Being Obsessed With Them
It's so cute you think you're that important to me.
2. When Someone Interrupts You To Ask A Dumb Question
Do you mind if I get back to what I was actually talking about? Thanks.
3. When You've Had About Enough
Find someone new to bother.
4. When Someone's Trying to Slut-Shame You
No shame in this game, but nice try.
5. When You're Experiencing Manspreading On The Subway
Sometimes you don't even need words — all it takes is a dose of the old Cregg side eye.
6. When Someone's Outstayed Their Welcome
This has been fun, but I'm all set.
7. When Someone Is Hating On Your Gal, Planned Parenthood
And, luckily for you, I'm not required by law to be lectured either, so I'm sure you don't mind if I show myself out.
8. When You Honestly Just Can't
Did you seriously just say that? C.J. Cregg has no words.
9. When You Want To Catch Someone In Their Own Trap
Just let them keep talking, they'll get there eventually!
10. When Someone's Trying To Confuse You
Hey. Hey. Let's not pretend you don't know exactly what I'm talking about.
11. When You're Giving Someone One Last Chance Before You Dismantle Their Argument
I want you to really think about this.
12. When They Don't Even Deserve A Response
Well, that's it for me, thanks.
13. When They Didn't Hear You The First Time
So listen up!
Basically, anytime you're feeling an inkling of doubt, just pull one of these classics out of your pocket and shut. it. down. It's what C.J. Cregg would do.
As you were.
Images: giphy (18)