12 Funny Ellie Kemper Quotes From The 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' Panel At 'The New Yorker' Festival
"Unbreakable! They alive, dammit. It's a miracle!" That's what I had stuck in my head all night after seeing Ellie Kemper speak at The New Yorker Festival on Oct. 3. Of course, if you didn't know, that's the theme song to Netflix's Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt which stars Kemper as the titular character. On Saturday, the actress sat down with New Yorker staff writer Lauren Collins to talk about The Office, Bridesmaids, improv, sunshine-y attitudes, and, of course, the beloved Netflix show. While Kemper is not quite as insanely optimistic and at-times naive as her onscreen counterparts can be, she is just as charming and funny. That's why I've gathered Ellie Kemper's best quotes from the panel to share with all of you.
Witty and hilariously self-deprecating at times, the actress' quotes ranged from talking about her moon face (we'll get there) to describing the subtle difference between herself and Kimmy Schmidt. I think it helped that she was interviewed by her former college classmate, because there was a sense that all of us (audience included) were just hanging out together. Kemper wasn't talking at us, she was talking with us. So, without further ado, time for some funny Kemepr quotes.
1. "Isn't It Ironic?"
This was the name of Kemper's senior thesis. Sadly it wasn't about Alanis Morissette, though.
2. "I Have A Very Large Face, And Some May Say It's Like The Moon."
The actress says this is why she gets pegged to play "innocent" roles because she's so wide-eyed and trustworthy-looking.
3. "The Hollywood Men Were Very Hunky And Very Oily."
Before filming Bridesmaids, the actors went to a strip club to see The Hollywood Men and bond as a cast. Seems legit.
4. "I Was Like, 'Oh, I Already Know You Guys Because You're In My Living Room!' But, I Didn't Know Them. They Were Just On My TV"
This is how Kemper describes showing up at the set of The Office after watching the show for years. It's a very adorable, Erin-esque move.
5. "Oh, They're Punking Me."
When she first heard the plot of Kimmy Schmidt (a show about women who get trapped in a bunker for 15 years by a crazy cult leader that is also a comedy), Kemper thought Tina Fey was trying to pull one over on her.
6. "The Difference Is Pink Pants."
And, now you know the difference between Kimmy and Ellie!
7. "Wearing Those Bright Colors ... I Find Myself Craving PB&J, Small Child Treats."
From now on, I'm calling all my '90s favs "small child treats."
8. "I Am So Scared Of Dylan Gelula [Xanthippe]. She's So Cool."
Turns out Xan is terrifying IRL, too. But, not because Gelula is mean. Rather because Kemper is "scared of cool," which Gelula just exudes.
9. "I Was Struck By How Little People Smile In New York. They're Buying Cupcakes, And They're So Angry ... [But] You're About To Get So Much Sugar!"
When she first moved to New York, the actress worked at Crumbs bakery, and learned New Yorkers frown even in front of delicious desserts.
10. "In Any Case, It's The Deal Of The Century."
Kemper, describing $1 pizza. (Also, same.)
11. "We Knew Him As Mr. Hamm."
He may be Don Draper to the rest of us, but, to Kemper, Jon Hamm was just her former high school acting teacher.
12. "Sun, Sun, Crossout, Rain Cloud, Smiley Face, Winky Face, Dancing Woman, Paint Your Nails."
This was actually The Guardian's interpretation of how Kimmy would describe the show in emojis, but Kemper gave them her stamp of approval.
Now if only Season 2 (and its sunshine-y attitude) would hurry up and get here!
Images: giphy (11); Screengrab/Netflix