Make These Candy Corn Jello Shots For Halloween
Remember the Halloween parties we used to have as kids? The ones where peeled grapes were used as "eyeballs," and a bowl of plain spaghetti was transformed into "worms"? Fast-forward a decade and the games may have changed, but the celebration is still around. This year, we are celebrating with Halloween jello shots that are layered to look like boozy candy corn. Yes, the candy that was guaranteed to be in your childhood trick-or-treat bag is now in a cocktail.
But first, what exactly is in candy corn? Well, it isn't corn, unless you count the corn syrup listed in the ingredient description. Candy corn first appeared in the 1880s, and was made with sugar, corn syrup, and marshmallow, and cooked by hand in large kettles. Today, there is a candy corn for all seasons: red and green for Christmas, brown, orange, and white for Thanksgiving, and pastels for Easter.
But back to the drink.
As alcohol goes, vodka is standard, but rum and tequila are also fine choices. Bonus points if you add flavored vodka, such as whipped cream, marshmallow, or cake. The red "bloody" fruit punch of our youth was fine when you were seven, but now that you're older, forget the punch — we're making shots. And you thought you were going to have a quiet night in reliving your childhood watching Halloweentown and Hocus Pocus .
Candy Corn Jell-O Shots
Makes nine shots
- 2 1/2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of sweetened condensed milk from a 14 oz. can
- 3 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
- 1 3 oz. package of orange gelatin
- 1 3 oz. package of lemon gelatin
- 3/4 cup of vodka
1. Boil 1/2 cup of water into a saucepan or tea kettle.
2. Take the saucepan off the heat, and pour in one packet of unflavored gelatin.
3. If using a tea kettle, add the unflavored gelatin into a medium bowl, and pour in the hot water.
4. Stir the mixture until the gelatin is dissolved. Mix in the sweetened condensed milk, and 1/4 cup of vodka.
5. Evenly distribute the mixture into shot glasses, filling no more than 1/3 of the way up. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until set.
6. Boil one cup of water. Take off the heat, and pour in one packet of unflavored gelatin, and one packet of orange gelatin. Stir until the gelatin is dissolved, and add in 1/4 cup of vodka.
7. Evenly distribute the mixture into shot glasses, and refrigerate until the gelatin sets, about one hour.
8. Boil the last cup of water. Take off the heat, and pour in one packet of unflavored gelatin, and one packet of lemon gelatin. Stir until combined, and add in the remaining vodka.
9. Evenly distribute the mixture into shot glasses, and refrigerate until the gelatin sets, about one hour.
All that's left to do now is serve! Congratulations — with these adorable candy corn jello shots, you have officially won Halloween.
For more fall entertaining ideas, check out Bustle on YouTube.
Images: Taylor Henriquez (13)