27 Raf Simons' Dior Greatest Hits, Because He Will Be Missed On The Red Carpet — PHOTOS
After three and a half years at the helm, Raf Simons is leaving Dior, the New York Times reports. His departure has come as something as a surprise, especially since Simons is now the second Dior creative director to suddenly depart in five years. It's worth noting the he's leaving on his own terms, as opposed to his predecessor, John Galliano, who was fired from the house after a video appearing to show the designer making anti-semitic remarks was released. There is no official replacement yet, and Simons said of his departure, "It is a decision based entirely and equally on my desire to focus on other interests in my life, including my own brand, and the passions that drive me outside my work."
The brand reportedly flourished during his tenure as creative director, so it'll be sad to see him go — especially as he was the genius behind many a gorgeous dress over the past several years. The dress Jennifer Lawrence took home the Oscar with back in 2013? The blush-colored ball gown Carey Mulligan wore to the Cannes premiere of The Great Gatsby ? The mermaid-esque gown Lupita Nyong'o stunned at the 2014 BAFTAs in? All designed during Mr. Simons' reign over the brand. Suffice it to say, there are a lot of reasons to mourn Simons' departure from Dior — so let's celebrate his time at the fashion house by memorializing some of his best creations!
1. Lupita Nyong'o at the Opening Night of Eclipsed
It honestly doesn't get much better than this.
2. Kate Mara at the London Premiere of The Martian
Kate Mara has been killing it on the red carpet lately, and this delicately embroidered Dior is pretty darn pitch-perfect.
3. Natalie Portman at the Toronto International Film Festival
Opinions were mixed on this dress, but LBR: It doesn't get much better than delicate chainmail-inspired jewelry over a floral mini dress.
4. Lupita Nyong'o at the Dior Front Row
5. Rihanna at Dior Tokyo
Since becoming a Dior spokeswoman, Rihanna's stunned in a lot of Dior — and this is one of her very best.
6. Natalie Portman at the Cannes Premiere of A Tale of Love and Darkness
Pure, updated mid-century glam.
7. Emma Watson at the Time 100 Gala
If anyone can make draped asymmetrical pants sing, it's Watson.
8. Hailee Steinfeld at the iHeartRadio Festival
Hailee is rocking the whole futuristic look — and those boots are insane, in the best way possible.
9. Kate Bosworth Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco Mid-Winter Gala
Simple, graphic, and straight-up stylish (also, her matching orange lip is perfection).
10. Emma Stone at the SNL 40th Anniversary Celebration
The perfect mix of laid back and glamorous for the laid back/glam queen, Stone.
11. Marion Cotillard at the 2015 Critics’ Choice Movie Awards
Anything with a skirt that voluminous is a win in my book (and her lipstick is on point).
12. Felicity Jones at the 2015 Golden Globes
Felicity Jones has worn a lot of Dior over the past few years, and this is one of her very best.
13. Jennifer Lawrence at the Los Angeles Premiere of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1
The teapot-esque silhouette mixed with the bridal brocade makes this a whimsical-yet-elegant gown for Ms. Lawrence.
14. Jing Tian at the 2014 Hollywood Film Awards
The contrasting back adds an unexpected pop of color to this delicate and ladylike Dior creation.
15. Dakota Fanning at the Dior Front Row
Now, this one's strange, but Johnson is really making it sing.
16. Frédérique Bel at the Cannes Premiere of Jimmy's Hall
So glam it hurts.
17. Marion Cotillard at the 2014 Met Gala
Cotillard is Dior's unofficial queen, and this might just be her best look from Simons' tenure.
18. Lupita Nyong'o at the 2014 BAFTAs
One of the most breathtaking dresses she's ever worn — and we all know that's saying a lot.
19. Natalie Portman at the Paris Premiere of Thor: The Dark World
So wood nymph-y!
20. Cate Blanchett at the Deauville American Film Festival
If anyone can rock the whole high-fashion granny square afghan look, it's Blanchett.
21. Olivia Palermo in the Dior Front Row
An iridescent skirt on its own is pretty awesome, but paired with a pristine belted blazer? Perfection.
22. Zhang Ziyi at the Cannes Premiere of Zulu
Strange? Yes. Awesome? Also yes.
23. Carey Mulligan at the Cannes Premiere of The Great Gatsby
So, so pretty (and the umbrella's an adorable — if necessary — touch).
24. Nicole Kidman (also) at the Cannes Premiere of The Great Gatsby
She's (rather thematically) rocking a 21st century Princess Grace vibe here.
25. Jennifer Lawrence at the 2013 Academy Awards
What a dress to take home an Academy Award in, eh?
26. Zhang Ziyi at the Berlin Premiere of The Grandmaster
Now that is a print.
27. Jennifer Lawrence at the Toronto Premiere of Silver Linings Playbook
Another epic print for his first couture collection with the brand, Simons sure took Dior's signature mid-century silhouette and made it work for him, eh?