14 Movie Couple Halloween Costume Ideas You Can Make At The Last Minute
If you and your special someone are in need of a little inspiration this year, look no further than Hollywood for these iconic movie couple Halloween costume ideas. Take some sartorial direction from your favorite dynamic duos of the silver screen, whose throwback threads and unlikely romances are never outdated. From the '70s to the '00s and every decade in between, these cult classics provide a range of costume inspiration for every kind of couple.
Searching for something archetypically spooky? Tim Burton's aesthetic flair is always Halloween-appropriate. Wanting more of a fairytale romance? Do "as you wish" in Renaissance garb with your main squeeze incognito as the Dread Pirate Roberts. Seeking a little more sex appeal? Go the neo-noir route with Quentin Tarantino's black comedy and slick styling. Can't convince your man friend to dress up at all? Throw a white sheet over him, and put on your best Demi Moore-in-mourning face. Whether your ideal is to go all out with head to toe gear (and makeup for him), or you're hoping that dressing up requires no more than a couple outfit tweaks with pieces you already own, this lineup of cinematic couple costumes has options of varying commitments for you and your partner.
Check out the entire 'What's Up, Boo?' series and other videos on Facebook and the Bustle app across Apple TV, Roku, and Amazon Fire TV.
1. Edward Scissorhands & Kim Boggs from Edward Scissorhands
Scare suburbia as this pretty pair from Tim Burton's 1990 classic that's perfectly suited for the season.
- Head to toe black ensemble (best if leather or pleather)
- Grommet belts to embellish outfit and tie around waist and torso
- Black wig
- Scissorhands gloves
2. Harold & Maude from Harold & Maude
Reenact this unlikely romance with your other half, proving love knows no boundaries, and Cat Stevens has a song for every occasion.
- Vintage brown suit
- Vintage brown corduroy coat (bonus for shearling collar)
- Gaunt expression
- Vintage brown tweed coat
- White and yellow scarf
- Heidi braids
3. Forrest Gump & Jenny Curran from Forrest Gump
Life is like a box of chocolates, especially on Halloween. Make sure to cross paths numerous times with your companion, because you'll go together like peas and carrots.
- Bubba Gump hat
- Alabama drawl
4. Joel Barish & Clementine Kruczynski from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Make some Halloween memories even Lacuna, Inc. couldn't erase, dressed as these star-crossed lovers whose costumes require little more than your cold weather wardrobe and some hair dye.
- Basic, nondescript fall or winter attire
- Melancholy expression
5. Vada Sultenfuss & Thomas J. Sennett from My Girl
Conjure up some '90s nostalgia as the tiny twosome from this classic tearjerker.
- Innocent expression
For Thomas J.:
- Striped Tee
- Innocent expression
6. Ferris Bueller & Sloane Peterson from Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Play hooky for Halloween as the American teenage dream team. Bonus points if you have a third wheeler to play Cameron.
- Color-block leather jacket
- Patterned sweater-vest
- Oversized slacks
7. William Miller & Penny Lane from Almost Famous
Throw on your '70s duds and rock out this Halloween as fresh-faced Rolling Stones journalist and beautiful groupie.
- '70s tee
- Brown jacket
- Handheld tape recorder
8. Frances "Baby" Houseman & Johnny Castle from Dirty Dancing
Have the time of your life as this dancing duo. Wherever you end up partying, you won't be left in the corner.
9. Harry Burns & Sally Albright from When Harry Met Sally
If you're spending Halloween with your "just friends" friend, or simply want to be comfortable in some '80s autumn attire, this couple costume is for you.
- '80s cut everything
- White sneakers
10. Sandy Olsen & Danny Zuko from Grease
You can never go wrong with a classic, and this blast from the past is always a crowd pleaser.
- Black tee
- Hair gel
11. Princess Buttercup & Westley from The Princess Bride
Recreate a storybook romance with your love this Halloween, and fight off any Humperdinks who stand in your way.
12. Cher Horowitz & Josh from Clueless
If your boyfriend doesn't want to dress up this year but you still, like, totally do, go as everyone's favorite teen queen, and have him tag along in his usual ensemble.
13. Molly Jensen & Sam Wheat from Ghost
Bring this blockbuster romance back to life with a simple white sheet and some splatters of clay.
- Overalls with clay stains
- Pixie cut wig
- White sheet with eye holes cut out
14. Vincent Vega & Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction
Get ready to do the twist as this gruesome Tarantino twosome.
For more Halloween ideas, check out Bustle on YouTube.
Images: 20th Century Fox (2); Paramount Pictures (6); Focus Features; Columbia Pictures (2); DreamWorks Pictures; Vestron Pictures; Miramax Films