17 Lanvin Red Carpet Moments That Show Why Alber Elbaz Will Be Missed — PHOTOS
Alas, have you heard the news? Longtime Lanvin creative director Alber Elbaz is leaving the brand, according to an official statement released by the designer. It's quite a shake-up, especially following Raf Simons' abrupt departure from Christian Dior last week — in fact, many are already speculating that Elbaz may be in the running to take over Simons' post at the helm of Dior (how exciting would that be?), though nothing has been confirmed.
Elbaz said in a statement released by Vogue, “At this time of my departure from Lanvin on the decision of the company’s majority shareholder. I wish to express my gratitude and warm thoughts to all those who have worked with me passionately on the revival of Lanvin over the last 14 years . . . together, we have met the creative challenge presented by Lanvin and have restored its radiance and have returned it to its rightful position among France’s absolute luxury houses.”
Bustle has reached out to Lanvin for comment and will update this article if they respond.
Hopefully Elbaz has something exciting on the horizon, because he'll definitely be missed over at Lanvin. After all, he's the creative director behind everything from the kicky red party dress Emma Stone wore to the 2012 Met Gala, to the elegant gown rose tulle confection Nicole Kidman wore to the Cannes Film Festival premiere of The Paperboy . He's also helmed some pretty cool collaborations over the years — personally, I'm still not over his 2010 collection for H&M, and his kooky eyeshadow palettes for Lancome still make me smile on a daily basis.
Suffice it to say, Mr. Elbaz will be sorely missed from the Lanvin brand — so, let's celebrate his tenure with a look back at some of the best Lanvin dresses from recent years (fair warning, Stone makes her way onto this list no less than four times).
1. Allison Williams at the 2015 Fashion Group International Night Of Stars Gala
It doesn't get much better than bronze paillettes.
2. Natalie Portman at the Toronto International Film Festival
This ultra-feminine blush lace number is already gorgeous on its own, but the oversized star brooch takes it to the next level.
3. Lupita Nyong'o at the D23 Expo 2015
Could she be any more adorable?
4. Olga Kurylenko at the Madrid Premiere of The Water Diviner
The perfect pop of color.
5. Emma Stone at the 2015 Golden Globes
Some of the best formal pants in the biz (and on a side note, her makeup is on point).
6. Huiwen Zhang at the Cannes Premiere of Coming Home
The dress equivalent of a wedding cake.
7. Gugu Mbatha-Raw at the New York Premiere of Belle
Art deco-esque, lime green perfection.
8. Lupita Nyong'o at the Los Angeles Premiere of Non-Stop
Leave it to Nyong'o to really knock Lanvin out of the park.
9. Emma Roberts at the 2014 Golden Globes
10. Carey Mulligan at the World Premiere of The Great Gatsby
Daisy Buchanan would surely approve.
11. Nicole Kidman at the Cannes Premiere of The Paperboy
So fab it almost hurts.
12. Emma Stone at the 2012 Met Gala
This might just be the partiest party dress that ever partied.
13. Emma Stone at the 2012 Golden Globes
Still one of the most beautiful gowns she's ever worn.
14. Emma Stone at the 2011 Met Gala
Seriously, no one can quite wear Lanvin like Ms. Stone here.
15. Anne Hathaway at the 2011 Academy Awards
Now that is a ladies' tuxedo.
16. Natalie Portman at the 2010 Governors Awards
Ooh, Portman should always wear saturated shades of fuchsia like this.
17. Blake Lively at the 2010 Spike TV Scream Awards
Honestly, all dresses should come in with gigantic bee brooches.
What's your favorite Lanvin dress from over the years? There are so many quirky/eccentric/elegant creations to choose from!
Images: Getty Images (18)