12 Holiday Quotes To Bring You Cheer This Season
With all the stress that comes with the holiday season, it can be hard to feel festive come Christmastime. The trees may be decorated, the gifts may be wrapped, and the cookies may be baked, but if you are still having a hard time getting into the spirit of things, maybe you need to read some of the most heartfelt and best holiday quotes from some of the most merry minds. If you can't be jolly, there is always someone else who can be.
Sometimes, it just takes a gleeful greeting or some cheesy Christmas cheer to get you excited for the holidays. For me, it's never really the holidays until I watch It's a Wonderful Life . When it comes to holiday quotes, the 1946 Christmas film is full of festive one-liners and cheerful sentiments, but once I hear George Bailey utter "Attaboy, Clarence" over the sound of ringing bells, I'm in full holiday mode. Bring on the decorating, the gift wrapping, and the caroling, because once those magic words are spoken, I can't help but feel a little more festive. If you have a favorite Christmas flick or a perennial holiday read, then you know exactly what I mean.
From books to movies, authors to activists, here are 12 holiday quotes to help make your day more merry and bright.
1. "Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can’t see." — The Polar Express (2004)
2. “My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?” ― Bob Hope
3. “Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas... perhaps... means a little bit more!” ― Dr. Seuss, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
4. “This is my wish for you: peace of mind, prosperity through the year, happiness that multiplies, health for you and yours, fun around every corner, energy to chase your dreams, joy to fill your holidays!” — D.M. Dellinger
5. “Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.” ― Laura Ingalls Wilder
6. “This is Christmas. The season of perpetual hope. And I don’t care if I have to get out on your runway and hitchhike. If it costs me everything I own, if I have to sell my soul to the devil himself, I am going to get home to my son.” — Kate McCallister, Home Alone (1990)
7. “Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone.” ― Charles M. Schulz
8. "It's Christmas Eve. It's the one night of the year when we all act a little nicer, we smile a little easier, we cheer a little more. For a couple of hours out of the whole year we are the people that we always hoped we would be." — Frank Cross, Scrooged (1988)
9. “Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas.” — Calvin Coolidge
10. “I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” — Charles Dickens
11. “The holiday season is a time for storytelling, and whether you are hearing the story of a candelabra staying lit for more than a week, or a baby born in a barn without proper medical supervision, these stories often feature miracles. Miracles are like pimples, because once you start looking for them you find more than you ever dreamed you'd see, and this holiday story features any number of miracles, depending on your point of view.” ― Lemony Snicket, The Lump of Coal
12. “Christmas is a day of meaning and traditions, a special day spent in the warm circle of family and friends.” ― Margaret Thatcher
Looking for more holiday cheer? Check out Bustle on YouTube.
Images: Pixabay; Giphy (12)