When I first moved to New York in 2010, OkCupid and PlentyOfFish were the big things to join. I was 21, fresh out of a bad relationship and more than ready to meet (what I thought were) attractive, successful, smart men living in the big city. Over the course of the past six years, four of which I’ve spent single, I’ve watched the dating game change dramatically.
Just a few years ago, my friends couldn’t go into one bar in any part of time without being hit on by multiple guys, and nowadays, we all snicker to ourselves as we watch the same type of guys swiping on their phones while they’re waiting on a Jack and Coke. While there’s no one way to define ‘modern dating’ — I think it’s safe to say that technology, and dating apps specifically, have changed how singles view and respond to meeting the right person. Or in some cases, hundreds of ‘right now’ people.
“Modern dating is moving more and more towards dating apps," Psychologist and counselor, Nikki Martinez, Psy.d., LCPC, tells Bustle. "This is an immediate gratification or rejection in many ways, and often times skips the normal courtship of talking and getting to know each other. I see the dating start and burn out much faster before they find the one. Dating has changed due to people focusing more on career into longer years, and prioritizing this, or they were married young, divorced, and are back out in the dating world. They need new avenues to meet people and connect.”
So while having options and unlimited swipes can be a way to come across folks you typically wouldn’t, how are singles responding to modern dating? Here, I asked men, women, straight, gay, divorced and more about what modern dating means to them:
1. Modern Dating Is… Netflix & Chillin’
2. Modern Dating Has… A Character Limit
3. Modern Dating Is … Instant Gratification Relationships
4. Modern Dating Is… A Big Balancing Act
5. Modern Dating Is... Tedious
6. Modern Dating Has… Changed Who Makes The First Move
7- Modern Dating Is… Not Organic
8. Modern Dating Is… Casual
9. Modern Dating Is… Selfish
10. Modern Dating Means… Everything’s Fair Game
11. Modern Dating Is… About Having Fun
12. Modern Dating Is…Having Too Many Doors Open
13. Modern Dating Is… Delaying Marriage
14. Modern Dating… Lacks Creativity
15. Modern Dating Is… Going to Hit A Bust
Want more of Bustle's Sex and Relationships coverage? Check out our new podcast, I Want It That Way, which delves into the difficult and downright dirty parts of a relationship, and find more on our Soundcloud page.