Harry Potter gets into a lot of scrapes throughout the series. Some are humorous, such as accidentally getting trapped in a room with a three-headed dog, getting stuck in detention, or addressing fan mail with Gilderoy Lockhart. Some of the scrapes are more dangerous, such as taking a portkey to a graveyard where the dark lord is throwing creepy ingredients together so he can rise again. Thankfully, there are plenty of sensible characters to remind Harry Potter to have a little wisdom, so that he doesn’t always get caught in such unfortunate situations.
In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry says, “I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me.” And that seems true — after all, The Boy Who Lived often gets stuck in impossible situations. But maybe part of that is because Harry’s a Gryffindor, through and through. He is reckless at times, and loves adventure, which is why it’s a good thing he has wise friends like Hermione, Luna, Dumbledore, Lupin, and many others to whisper advice to him in times of need. And truly, you don’t have to be a Ravenclaw to appreciate these quotes. The Harry Potter series is full of adventure, sure, but that adventure wouldn’t be possible without a little wisdom to go with it.
1. "You think it — wise — to trust Hagrid with something as important as this?" "I would trust Hagrid with my life," said Dumbledore.
—J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
2. "[You might belong] in wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind, Where those of wit and learning, Will always find their kind."
—The Sorting Hat, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
3. "I didn't think of Voldemort," said Harry honestly. "I — I remembered those dementors." "I see," said Lupin thoughtfully. "Well, well... I'm impressed." He smiled slightly at the look of surprise on Harry's face. "That suggests that what you fear most of all is — fear. Very wise, Harry."
—J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
4. "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that."
—Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
5. “Wit beyond measure is a man's greatest treasure.”
—Luna Lovegood, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
6. "You haven't got a letter on yours," George observed. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid — we know we're called Gred and Forge."
—George Weasley, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
7. "A little extra wisdom never goes amiss."
—Professor Flitwick, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Images: Giphy (7), Warner Bros (1)