March is officially Women's History Month, and you know what that means... it's time to start stocking up on feminist quotes. The history of women's rights in America has come a long way, but it still has a much longer way to go. From pay rates and political positions to legal rights and Hollywood roles, the United States still isn't at the place it should be when it comes to treating women with equality.
Even when you step away from practical matters for a moment, there is still so much more to be done in the realm of thinking. These 14 amazing women below know exactly what I'm talking about, and their bold and beautiful words get to the heart of the matter in a way that's both elegant and strong. The likes of Michelle Obama, Roseanne Barr, and even Beyonce have their feminist voices on lock with these quotes, and that's something that everybody has to respect no matter what political party you stand beside.
Ladies, fellows, and everyone in-between, let's celebrate women this month, and let's do it with pride. We can only make waves in the future by first understanding our past, and if there was ever a time of year for feminists to do that, it's got to be Women's History Month.
1. "I hate men who are afraid of women's strength." — Anaïs Nin
2. "I mean, I absolutely call myself a feminist. And by that, I mean a woman who believes that your opportunities should not be constrained by your gender, that women should be entitled to the same opportunities as men." — Ayelet Waldman
3. "Courage to be is the key to revelatory power of the feminist revolution." — Mary Daly
4. "I think every woman in our culture is a feminist. They may refuse to articulate it, but if you were to take any woman back 40 years and say 'is this the world you want to live in?' they would say 'no'." — Helen Mirren
5. "When you said in your speech, 'If not now, when? If not me, who?', I decided there’s no way and there’s nothing wrong by calling yourself a feminist. So I’m a feminist and we all should be a feminist because feminism is another word for equality." — Malala Yousafzai
6. "A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle." — Gloria Steinem
7. "It's not my responsibility to be beautiful. I'm not alive for that purpose. My existence is not about how desirable you find me." — Warsan Shire
8. "As a first lady, a mother, and a human being, I cannot walk away from these girls, and I plan to keep raising my voice on their behalf for the rest of my life. I plan to keep urging world leaders to invest in their potential and create societies that truly value them as human beings. I plan to keep reaching out to local leaders, families and girls themselves to raise awareness about the power of sending girls to school. And I plan to keep talking about this issue here at home, because I believe that all of us — men and women, in every country on this planet — have a moral obligation to give all of these girls a future worthy of their promise and their dreams." — Michelle Obama
9. "Make sure you have your own life before becoming someone's wife." — Beyonce Knowles
10. "Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings." — Cheris Kramarae
11. "The point of the feminist movement wasn't simply to set our underwear on fire and muscle into small spaces in the male-dominated workplace, but to create a world where the contribution of both sexes was equally valued and no one's worth was judged on their take-home salary." — Mariella Frostrup
12. "Womanist is to feminist as purple is to lavender." — Alice Walker
13. "People ask me sometimes, when — when do you think it will it be enough? When will there be enough women on the court? And my answer is when there are nine." —Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
14. "The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it." — Roseanne Barr
Images: JD Hancock/Flickr; Giphy (3)