In a recent thread in the feminism subreddit, one user seeks suggestions for quotes by women to put in an office. While it's common practice to decorate an office with quotes by notable people in the company's industry or generally inspirational people, the most-cited quotes can skew male, since men tend to be quoted more in general. Fortunately, though, there are plenty of notable and quotable women with valuable things to say about work and success.
As a society, we tend to listen to men more than women, and the workplace is one area where women often feel this disparity. According to a study from Brigham Young University and Princeton, men's comments tend to take up around 75 percent of work meetings. And according to an analysis by 4th Estate, men are quoted far more often than women in political press coverage, even on women's issues like abortion and birth control.
To combat the tendency to under-quote women and silence women in the workplace, here are a few quotes by women that you can decorate an office with, or just keep in mind to inspire yourself at work.
1. “When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.” — Malala Yousafzai
2. "We can't become what we need to be by remaining what we are." — Oprah Winfrey
3. “That brain of mine is something more than merely mortal, as time will show.” — Ada Lovelace
4. “Life is always either a tightrope or a feather bed. Give me the tightrope.” — Edith Wharton
5. “A woman is like a tea bag — you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
6. “I never dreamed about success. I worked for it.” — Estée Lauder
7. “Power is not given to you. You have to take it.” — Beyonce Knowles
8. “A lot of people are afraid to say what they want. That’s why they don’t get what they want.” — Madonna
9. “Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement.” - Golda Meir
10. “The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity.” -Amelia Earhart
Images: Dan Kitwood/Getty Images, Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images, AFP/AFP/Getty Images, GABRIEL DUVAL/AFP/Getty Images; Giphy(6)