How to Find the Best Mattress Pad for You
Getting a restful night's sleep is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Your body repairs itself during those eight(ish) hours, allowing you to wake up rejuvenated and ready to face the day. But if you're not sleeping well, a better night's rest could come down to knowing how to find the right mattress pad for you.
The whole buying a mattress pad process can seem like a bit of a headache, but because it's such an important part of your sleep equation, it's worth it to find the best answer for you. Not only can you significantly enhance the quality of your sleep with the best mattress pads, but the comfy barrier ensures that the real investment — your mattress — stays intact for longer. The layer will actually protect your mattress from dust and mites, increasing its longevity and adding a plush level of support and comfort in the process. While you may have settled for a so-so mattress, the higher quality mattress pads have the ability to transform said mattress into the bed of your dreams. The right pad can regulate your bed's temperature, decrease vibrations between your partner's restless leg and you, and even help your bed custom-fit your sleeping frame. Ahead, the best mattress pads for every kind of sleeper.
For Light Sleepers: Vibration-Absorbing Hypoallergenic Foam Pad
• Three-year warranty means you're protected against any possible defects
• Two inches of foam snugly hugs your body for custom-fit support where you need it
• Hypoallergenic material means no runny/stuffy nose or watery eyes
• Available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL, Queen, King, and California King
The Lucid foam mattress topper is the best bed accessory for sleepers who constantly wake up to every toss and turn of their partner. Memory foam absorbs vibrations so you get a sounder sleep, in addition to softening up a rock-hard mattress that might be too firm for its sleeper. This foam offers plenty of support to the back, neck, and sides, as it conforms to your body for a bed that's custom fit to your size and weight.
Happy sleepers using the pad say it completely transformed their bed. One said, "This is the best decision I ever made. I no longer have back pain or feel like I am sleeping on a harsh spring right on my skin."
For Allergy-Prone Sleepers: Microplush Mattress Pad
• Box stitching and miltered border prevents microplush filling from bunching up• Elasticized edge makes this pad double as a full-cover mattress topper, too, while deep side pockets mean corners won't untuck• Available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, and California King
This microplush mattress pad is is an absolute necessity for sneeze-prone sleepers who can't spend the night on down — and that's likely why it's the No. 1 best-selling pad right now. The microplush filling adds comfortable cushion that regulates heat for chilly sleepers, but reviewers say the versatile pad's temperature adjusts according to the season.
One reviewer even said, "I was actually contemplating buying a new bed before I decided to try out this mattress pad. I'm glad I did because it saved me a few hundred dollars. Its like I have a whole new bed."
For Sleepers Who Overheat: Antibacterial Charcoal & Bamboo Memory Foam Pad
• Individually cut memory foam nubs promote airflow for better circulation• Bamboo and charcoal infusions regulate temperature, neutralize odor, and protect against bacterial buildup• Three-year warranty • Available in Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL, Queen, King, and California King
This memory foam pad is infused with charcoal and bamboo, which makes it one tough adversary in the face of perpetual night sweats. Bamboo and charcoal are naturally bacteria-resistant, and it's this quality that keeps your bed as clean as possible. Laser-cut nubs allow the pad to adjust to the curves of your body, in addition to isolating movement where it happens — instead of letting the vibrations travel to all ends of the bed.
Users who usually overheat in bed are singing its praises, and one reviewer said, "It supports your body, and it makes your bed a more inviting place to be. I get to sleep faster, and I stay asleep all night ever since having this on my bed."
For Sleepers Needing Firmer Support: Visco Elastic Memory Gel Pad
• Dust mite-resistant• Infused with lavender to minimize bacterial growth • Ventilated gel offers support without compromising airflow• Available in 2 or 4-inch pads (Queen Size shown here)
For sleepers who run hot, this visco elastic memory foam pad keeps body temperatures cool, while a lavender-infused material cuts down on odor. Reviewers say this mattress topper gave them more time with their mattresses — that the unique gel and foam combo supported all the pressure points the right way.
One fan of the pad said, "I wake up so much more rested and with much fewer aching and much less pain." Plus, you can even order yours in bamboo charcoal for even more defense against odor and bacteria.
Bustle may receive a portion of sales from products purchased from this article, which was created independently from Bustle's editorial and sales departments.
Images: Fotolia (1); Amazon (4)