12 Inspiring Pride Month Quotes That Celebrate Love Above All Else
Sometimes a quote can say it all, and that is definitely the case with these 12 inspiring Pride month quotes. The beauty of these words really sheds some light on humanity, love, acceptance, and the way in which we function as human beings. If you are needing some powerful words to reflect on in regards to gay rights and really, love in general, then you are in the right place. These quotations will not lead you astray.
From Simone de Beauvoir to Barack Obama, the authors of these quotes are as diverse as it gets, and that is a wonderful thing. No matter how you identify, there is something to be learned from the topic of pride. Pride week is something everyone can partake in.
With Pride month in full swing, take a few minutes to read through these quotes, and hopefully enjoy some enlightenment. The way we look at the world and those who inhabit it is quickly changing, and it is an exciting time to be alive. It is time to be a part of the positive change that is happening, so make sure you are not just sitting back and nodding your head while it happens... get in the action!
1. "In itself, homosexuality is as limiting as heterosexuality: The ideal should be to be capable of loving a woman or a man; either, a human being, without feeling fear, restraint or obligation." — Simone de Beauvoir
2. "Labels are for filing. Labels are for clothing. Labels are not for people." — Martina Navratilova
3. "Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself." — Harvey Fierstein
4. "The important thing is not the object of love, but the emotion itself." — Gore Vidal
5. "Only the human mind invents categories and tries to force facts into separated pigeon-holes. The living world is a continuum in each and every one of its aspects. The sooner we learn this concerning sexual behavior the sooner we shall reach a sound understanding of the realities of sex." — Alfred Kinsey
6. "Openness may not completely disarm prejudice, but it’s a good place to start." — Jason Collins
7. "The geography of my heart has hills of desire and valleys and meadows of love — for both men and women — a single day's trek passes through it all." — Agavé Powers
8. "Understand that sexuality is as wide as the sea. Understand that your morality is not law. Understand that we are you. Understand that if we decide to have sex whether safe, safer, or unsafe, it is our decision, and you have no rights in our lovemaking." — Derek Jarman
9. "When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free." — Barack Obama
10. "Mothers, tell your children: be quick, you must be strong. Life is full of wonder, love is never wrong. Remember how they taught you, how much of it was fear. Refuse to hand it down — the legacy stops here." — Melissa Etheridge
11. "I say that homosexuality is not just a form of sex, it’s a form of love, and it deserves our respect for that reason." — Christopher Hitchens
12. "Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law." — Boethius