This August is the 30th anniversary of The Baby-Sitters Club. While this anniversary makes me feel a little bit older than I'd like, I'm much more excited about celebrating the characters whom author Ann M. Martin brought to life. The characters whom I loved and cherished and identified with for my entire childhood. In celebration of these characters and these books, here are some of the best quotes from The Baby-Sitters Club series.
No matter if you were a Kristy, Mary Anne, Claudia, or Stacey, I can guarantee you definitely learned a thing or two from every book. I mean, these books taught us so much about entrepreneurship, friendship, relationships, and community. But beyond the lessons of the BSC, the books were just plain fun. That's one of the reasons these books have been beloved for so many years, and why so many adults still revisit these books today.
Prepare for a serious dose of nostalgia, because I have compiled 22 of the best quotes from the BSC series. So turn on your lava lamp, slide your favorite mixtape into your cassette player, and settle into your favorite papasan chair for a trip down memory lane:
1. “My friends and I, by the way, are more than just friends.”
— The Baby-Sitters Club #19: Claudia and the Bad Joke
2. “I can't wait, Mom!" Exclaimed Marc, but I could tell he wasn't feeling as excited as he wanted his parents to think he was. I know because I've done that with my parents. Sometimes you have to protect parents and their feelings.”― The Baby-Sitters Super Special #1: Baby-Sitters on Board!
3. “I am never falling in love again! It hurts too much.”
― The Baby-Sitters Little Sister #119: Karen's Mistake
4. “I love to read, and I don't believe that you have to finish one book before you start another."
— The Baby-Sitters Club #14: Hello, Mallory
5. “It’s awfully hard helping your parents grow up. But it has to be done.”
― The Baby-Sitters Club #8: Boy-Crazy Stacey
6. “Honestly, living with my mother is like living with a very tall child.”
— The Baby-Sitters Club #30: Mary Anne and the Great Romance
7. “Being eleven is a real trial.”
— The Baby-Sitters Club #14: Hello, Mallory
8. “I started talking to this nice-looking boy who was hanging around on the beach ... We really hit if off ... I don’t know if we’ll really write to each other (as we promised), but it’s nice to know boys aren’t aliens from Snorzak or something.”
— The Baby-Sitters Club #10: Logan Likes Mary Anne!
9. “My room is only messy because I have to keep so many art materials stored in it.”
— The Baby-Sitters Club #26: Claudia and the Sad Good-Bye
10. "We're a great group. I'm not bragging, I'm just being honest. We're all different, but our differences work together to bring out the best in each of us...which, of course, helps make us good baby sitters."
— The Baby-Sitters Club #74: Kristy and the Copycat
11. “A Positive Attitude makes a Powerful Mind."
12. “My parents have let me get away with a lot of things fashion-wise, but they draw the line at two earrings in each ear. They said I would look like a pirate, although I, personally, have never seen a pirate with more than exactly one earring.”
— The Baby-Sitters Club #8: Boy-Crazy Stacey
13. “I swear, the mall is another world.”
— The Baby-Sitters Club #21: Mallory and the Trouble with Twins
14. “I looked at Andrew and at Nannie. I loved them and the rest of my family very much. I loved my friends too. For now that was enough love for me.”― The Baby-Sitters Club Little Sister #117: Karen's Mistake
15. “What I didn’t figure was that I’d be eating dinner with the Stepsister from the Black Lagoon.”― The Baby-Sitters Club #60: Mary Anne's Makeover
16. “And what did my mother think the Babysitters Club was, I wondered. A game?”
― The Baby-Sitters Club #7: Claudia and Mean Janine
17. “It’s just so weird to see your own parents dating.”
— The Baby-Sitters Club #25: Mary Anne and the Search for Tigger
18. “I've discovered that in order to make big changes in the world, we have to begin at home -- within ourselves”
― The Baby-Sitters Club #57: Dawn Saves the Planet
19. “Love is unpredictable. It can be painful. It can be wonderful.”
― The Baby-Sitters Club Little Sister #117: Karen's Mistake
20. "Sometimes I think of my friends as family, too. Is that weird? I don’t know. But my friends do feel like family.”
— The Baby-Sitters Club #24: Kristy and the Mother’s Day Surprise
21. “It's over. I can't believe it. Back to boring old life.”
― The Baby-Sitters Super Special #1: Baby-Sitters on Board!
21. “I hoped that Mary Anne, Claudia, Stacey, and I - the Baby Sitters Club - would stay together for a long time.”
― The Baby-Sitters Club #1: Kristy's Great Idea
Images: Giphy (8)