Feds Subpoena Anthony Weiner's Cellphone

The U.S. Attorney's office in New York has subpoenaed Anthony Weiner's cellphone and other records, according to CNN, just one day after allegations that the disgraced former congressman sent sexually-explicit text messages to a 15-year-old girl. Weiner issued a statement saying that he's "likely been the subject of a hoax," but added that he has "no one to blame but me for putting myself in this position." In addition to the subpoena, the FBI and New York Police Department have opened preliminary investigations into Weiner's alleged communications with the girl.

Weiner and the girl allegedly began talking in January 2016 and spoke for a number of months, according to the Daily Mail, around six months before his wife, Huma Abedin, announced that the couple would be separating. The girl alleged to the Daily Mail that Weiner sent her nude photos of himself, encouraged her to masturbate over video chat, and asked her to undress. The website published screenshots of their alleged communications with each other.

Weiner has been caught sexting before. In 2011, he resigned from Congress after admitting that he sent "messages and photos of an explicit nature" to "about six women over last three years." Two years later, his New York City mayoral campaign was derailed when it was claimed that he had reportedly sexted three additional women since the original scandal unfolded; Weiner did not deny these reports. And in 2016, Weiner allegedly sent a shirtless photo of himself to another woman. Because Weiner's son was visible in this photo, he subsequently became the subject of an investigation by the New York City Administration for Child Services.

The precise nature of the FBI and NYPD's investigations into Weiner are unclear, and it isn't known what documents other than cellphone records the U.S. Attorney has subpoenaed from Weiner.

The girl told the Daily Mail that she opted not to press any charges against Weiner because she believes their alleged relationship was consensual. The girl's father told the Daily Mail that he had no idea that she was reportedly communicating with Weiner.

"I hope I never come into contact with him," her father said. "I'll be in jail if I ever come into contact with him."