If you love the feline species (as you should, of course), then these 15 quotes about cats for National Cat Day will definitely speak to your soul. Domesticated cats are interesting little creatures: They show you love only when they want to, they expect to be left alone when they're not feeling social, and they always play by their rules. All that being said, when you win the affection of a cat, it means that much more because of their independent spirits. A dog will come running when you call it, but a cat will stare at you and refuse to budge an inch. Simply put, they're not anybody's fool, and even if you are their cat mama, they're still not going to spend their days begging for your affection. In fact, it's much more likely, you'll be spending your days begging for theirs.
So, what's the deal with cats? From Sigmund Freud to Christopher Walken, the authors of these 15 quotes nail xactly what makes kitties so amazing. They're mysterious, they're smart, they're comforting, and they're full of love... but you have to remember that they're not going to let just anyone be their bestie.
1. "Time spent with cats is never wasted." — Sigmund Freud
2. "Cats have it all — admiration, an endless sleep, and company only when they want it." — Rod McKuen
3. "Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God." — Christopher Hitchens
4. "Cats are connoisseurs of comfort." — James Herriot
5. "Perhaps it is because cats do not live by human patterns, do not fit themselves into prescribed behavior, that they are so united to creative people." — Andre Norton
6. "I like cats a lot. I've always liked cats. They're great company. When they eat, they always leave a little bit at the bottom of the bowl. A dog will polish the bowl, but a cat always leaves a little bit. It's like an offering." — Christopher Walken
7. "I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It's not. Mine had me trained in two days." — Bill Dana
8. "Cats are very independent animals. They're very sexy, if you want. Dogs are different. They're familiar. They're obedient. You call a cat, you go, 'Cat, come here.' He doesn't come to you unless you have something in your hand that he thinks might be food. They're very free animals, and I like that." — Antonio Banderas
9. "I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior." — Hippolyte Taine
10. "In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this." — Terry Pratchett
11. "Cats have a scam going — you buy the food, they eat the food, they go away; that's the deal." — Eddie Izzard
12. "I have felt cats rubbing their faces against mine and touching my cheek with claws carefully sheathed. These things, to me, are expressions of love." — James Herriot
13. "I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud without coming through." — Jules Verne
14. "Cats will outsmart dogs every time." — John Grogan