12 Seth Cohen Quotes From 'The O.C.' To Use When You Want To Seem Funnier Than You Actually Are
It’s weird to even think that wit and self-deprecation existed before Seth Cohen became an important part of pop culture in the early 2000s. As Newport Beach’s least favorite outcast, the exceptionally quotable Seth had to find a way to defend himself, and it was that way with words that helped his comic book character, The Ironist, become so iconic (at least on my side of the television). Later, once he tacked on the addition of friends and a girlfriend, Seth worked really hard to be “the funny one” in the core four. And even if wit is not your strong suit, you can work far less hard to make your friends and family laugh by just co-opting some of his best comebacks and quotes.
Now, of note, people in Newport beach didn’t always appreciate Seth’s sass like I did, so I can’t verify that all these lines will land with expert precision. If you’re using them on any people who aren't big into sarcasm, it’ll probably go over their heads. Also, if you’re still in high school, you might be ahead of your age group, just like Seth. But there are probably people out there, especially the O.C.-obsessed like us, who will appreciate a few Cohenisms here and there.
So feel free to borrow any of these the next time you wanna combat everyday life with a dry sense of humor.
1. When You're Trying To Forgo Holiday Plans With Your Culinarily-Challenged Family
"Nothing says Thanksgiving like Moo Shu Pork."
2. When Your Friend Gives You A One Word Answer To The Question Of How Last Night's Party Went
"Ah, yes. You've really painted a picture for me. I feel like I was there."
3. When You're Asked To Low-Key Investigate If The Cute Barista Is Working At Starbucks Today
"Excellent. I'm extremely stealth: 1996 All School Hide-and-Seek Champion.’"
4. When You're Trying To Describe Your Last Bad Tinder Hook-Up
"I was like a fish, flopping around on dry land. I was Nemo, and I just wanted to go home."
5. When You Go Hard At Brunch A Side Of Maple Bacon To Go With Your Maple Syrup-Doused Pancakes
"They're deliciously redundant."
6. When You Go Hard Making Brunch And Can't Pick One Flavor of Pancakes
"We made blueberry, buttermilk... and, if you're feeling especially sinful, chocolate chip."
7. When You're Told You Need To Get Over Your Ex
"I think closure's overrated. I'm more of a fan of open unrequited love."
8. When Monday Is Mondaying Especially Hard
"It's fine. I'm just having an allergic reaction to the universe."
9. When You Receive A Stream Of Incoherent Drunk Texts
"Ah, it's the Tourette's flarin' up again. It happens every now and again, but it's fine."
10. When You're Being Coerced To Go Out And Are Not Feeling It
"We have everything we need here for a perfect night. We've got a working television, a bevy of comic books. Lamps. Right. OK. That's all you need for a rollicking good time."
11. When You Need To Reassure Yourself That The Girl In That Instagram Is No One
"Maybe they're not having sex. Maybe they just go to spoon and watch Charlie Rose."
12. When You're Fantasizing About Having Your Lunch Break At Chipotle
"I dream of eating so much deliciousness that all the blood rushes to my stomach and I pass out on the table."
And there you have it, folks. When your sense of humor just isn't enough, throw some Cohenisms in that conversation and have everyone laughing. Or avoiding you. It's a toss-up.
Images: Warner Bros. Television; Giphy (12)