I've been a Vivian for a little over 21 years now, and I have to say it's been a grand time. With just six letters, my name was always the perfect length for name tags in elementary school, unusual yet easy to pronounce, to boot. Once I got older, my name always led to conversations about how rare Vivians are. But for me, being a Vivian has actually made life a little easier. Starbucks baristas (usually) don't have a hard time spelling my name, and pronouncing it doesn't tend to lead to a John Travolta-like apology.
My name is short, sweet, and mine. Vivian ranked #141 in 2012 on a list of most popular names in the United States. Yes, #141 seems like a horrible number at the bottom of a very long list, but we Vivians know that it's a really good thing to have a less common name.
I think I can speak for all Vivians in saying that being named Vivian is like striking gold. Especially when you consider a few fun facts behind the name. Here are 17 things every Vivian should know about her name.
1. According to Urban Dictionary — and they only speak the truth — "Any girl with this name is very likely to be pretty with an amazing personality."
2. There's a town in Louisiana with our name on it.
3. And that tiny piece of land? That's Vivian, South Dakota.
4. Let's not forget this train that's traveling right through Vivian, West Virginia.
5. There's also an island in Canada.
6. The name Vivian in Latin translates to "alive."
7. Vivian is also the name of the the Lady of the Lake, who gave King Arthur his sword.
8. 1981 was a bad year for Vivians. The name came in at 538 in the US Census list of popular names.
9. Since then, Vivian is slowly becoming more popular — as of 2013, it's the 119th most popular name.
10. Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen may have started the upswing — their daughter is named Vivian Lake Brady. She was born in 2012.
11. Uh, and then there was that one time Julia Roberts played a Vivian in Pretty Woman.
12. Vivians also share a name with the nanny turned famed photographer, Vivian Maier.
13. And how can we possibly forget TV’s favorite Vivian — Aunt Viv from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
14. Oh, and the Vivian of all Vivians, from Paper Mario!
15. Vivians are said to be leaders who desire personal independence.
16. We are also said to be untidy, but we won't get into that.
17. Vivians are also apparently "dynamic, visionary, and versatile, able to make constructive use of freedom." And the rest, well:
Gotta love this name.