The Lion King turns 20 on Tuesday, and though the film boasts a lot of excellent songs, an amazing voice cast, and lovely animation, it's also got something darker: a really great villain. With his smooth villainy and scary henchmen, Scar joins the ranks of Disney's scariest animated villains. See where he ranks on our definitive list of the baddest of the baddies.
14. Captain Hook, Peter Pan Though he is a pirate, Captain Hook is more comic relief than villain. He's always one step behind Peter Pan, so he lacks the skills to truly succeed at evil.
13. The Evil Stepmother, Cinderella She's pretty sinister, and she and her creepy daughters make a pretty scary team. They seem more annoying than evil, though. Social climbing does not a true villain make.
12. Shan Yu, Mulan Shan Yu is super powerful and physically threatening. He seems like he's all brawn though, and there isn't much depth to him.
11. Jafar, Aladdin Jafar's pursuit of Jasmine is definitely creepy, and then he becomes all powerful. He's a good villain, though not a stand out.
10. The Siamese Cats, Lady and the Tramp Their song is maybe the creepiest musical number in a Disney movie. Though they are more troublemakers than villains, they get points for ruining many a childhood.
9. Hades, Hercules Hades is King of the Underworld, so he's got that going for him. He's a good example of when funny can be terrifying.
8. The Queen of Hearts, Alice in Wonderland She's an insane tyrant with a passion for beheading. She's pretty darn creepy.
7. Maleficent, Sleeping BeautyMaleficent is super evil, since she's got dark super powers. Her lack of backstory (pre-Angelina Jolie) makes her seem pretty generic.
6. Shere Khan, The Jungle Book He strikes fear into the heart of the jungle, and as a tiger, he's both powerful and cunning. Also his voice is super scary.
5. Ursula, The Little Mermaid Ursula has a lair filled with slimy little stolen souls. She also has a sinister sexuality and powers. It's all a villain needs.
4. The Evil Queen, Snow White The fact that she actually wants Snow White's heart is messed up. This queen set the standard for Disney villainy, so she's an important addition to the list.
3. Frollo, The Hunchback of Notre Dame He's a super sinister racist. Everything about him is evil, and his treatment of Esmeralda is terrifying.
2. Cruella de Vil, One Hundred and One DalmatiansShe's evil in a capitalist way, which is different for Disney. Her obsession with the material with no regard for ethics or puppy cuteness is chilling in its familiarity.
1. Scar, The Lion King Yep, Scar is the best one. He has a believable backstory, a sinister accent, and he's really scary looking. It's hard to believe that that "Be Prepared" scene has been terrifying children for 20 years.