Old Photos of Robin Thicke & Paula Patton Prove They Were Once Undeniably In Love
Robin "Train Wreck" Thicke has been making his way into a ton of headlines lately, and for all the wrong reasons, so we've decided to take a look back at simpler times. A time when young Robin Thicke and Paula Patton were happy and had crazy hair! (Okay, so the crazy hair part only applies to him, Paula's hair always looks great.) As we know, the "Blurred Lines" singer, 37, exploded into fame last year with a string of smash hits, a controversial music video, and of course, Mileygate. However, while most of his songs at the time focused on womanizing and sex, Thicke appeared to be in a stable, happy marriage with high-school sweetheart and actress Paula Patton, 38. After being together for 22 years, married for nine, and sharing an adorable son, the couple really seemed like a true match. That is, until rumors of how Thicke couldn't keep it in his pants went public. Patton filed for separation in February 2014, and with the amount of naked girls prancing around his videos and widely publicized pictures of him blatantly grabbing ass, no one could blame her.
Unlike many Hollywood pairs who handle their "conscious uncouplings" by doing their best to keep all the gory details from the prying hands (and elevator cams) of TMZ, Thicke decided to go in a different direction. Instead of keeping his cool, he made the über mature and super sophisticated decision to beg for Paula's mercy in front of thousands at award shows, dedicate an entire cringe-worthy album, "Paula," to her, and air all of their private text messages in a song called "Get Her Back" which he paired with one of the creepiest music videos ever created. Classy.
If you don't have PTSD from watching that video, and have recovered from listening to lyrics like "You know cigarettes are bad for you baby — so am I," we'd like you to join us in a walk down memory lane to a time before the name "Robin Thicke" was a synonym for "Plug Your Ears and Shut Off The TV," and his marriage to Paula Patton gave you hope that romance still existed.
We present to you: Robin and Paula, The Good Years.
1. Never has the phrase "I can't" been more relevant than after seeing this photo.
2. If only long hair equaled a long marriage...
3. Robin whispers in Paula's ear, "One day I'm going to write an album all about you," and she laughs because she doesn't understand the horror that this will bring.
4. A touching collage of their "real love."
5. Love through thick, thin, and spiky statement necklaces.
6. "Robin, did you just look at that girl's butt?" "What?! Paula, you crazy!"
7. Nothing says "true love" like being photographed at a K-Swiss event together.
8. Proof that once upon a time, Robin Thicke was a gentleman.
9. A pregnant Paula Patton looks positively perfect. (Try to say that five times fast.)
10. Paula supporting her not-yet-cheating man during Grammy nominations.
11. Gahhh, right in the feels!
12. Paula catches Robin and their son Julian in an awwww-inducing moment.
13. Y U DO THIS TO PAULA, ROBIN? Y?!
14. So glamorous. So in love.
15. *Closes computer and runs to bedroom to cry*