14 Maya Angelou Quotes That Can Fit In a Tweet
When Maya Angelou died this past May, even nonreaders mourned. After all, the 86-year-old Angelou was an acclaimed writer/actor/dancer/singer/activist/all around badass lady. She hung out with Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, Jr., knew Oprah pre-fame, and was the first poet since Robert Frost to read at a presidential inauguration. She was nominated for a Pulitzer. She was, and always will be, a total boss.
She also gave some pretty awesome life advice. I mean, you can’t live a life like she did and not learn a thing or two. So, I went searching for some of the best Maya Angelou quotes around. Sometimes you just need a little encouragement to get up in the morning, and she can be pretty damn motivational.
Even better, all of these quotes are Twitter-ready (I already did the teensy bit of editing you'll need to make 'em 140-character-friendly), so spread the love with all of your followers. Having a bad day? Having an amazing realization about life? Maya Angelou has a quote for that. So, let’s take a break from quoting Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn for a minute, and let Maya Angelou talk for us about life, love, and making it through the day.
When You’re Having a Bad Day
- “I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow”
- “What you're supposed to do when you don't like a thing is change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it”
- “I can be changed by what happens to me. But I refuse to be reduced by it”
- “Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and unsurprised by anything in between”
- “You can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights”
When You Realize that Life is an Amazing Adventure
- “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style”
- “Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant”
- “Life is pure adventure, and the sooner we realize that, the quicker we will be able to treat life as art”
- “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it”
- “Courage is the most important of all the virtues because without courage, you can't practice any other virtue consistently”
When You Want To Spread Some Love
- “My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return”
- “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope”
When You’re Feeling Proud to be a Woman
- “I'm a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That's me”
When You Have a Serious Case of Writer’s Block
- “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you”