20 Christmas Movie Quotes That Are Scarily Applicable to Your Non-Yuletide Life
At this point, most of us can probably communicate by speaking only in Christmas movie quotes. We’ve seen ‘em all, and we’ve seen ‘em hundreds of times. We know them by heart, and they stick with us even after the tree is tossed and the snow melts away. We’re inclined to answer the phone by inquiring about the caller’s favorite color. We’re compelled to mispronounce the word “fragile” every time we see it written. We might even go as far as to quote the entire speech Linus gives about the meaning of Christmas on the auditorium stage of our daughter’s holiday chorus concert. Thanks for that one, Dad.
That is because these movies are incredibly special and provide important messages that we should remember throughout the year. But aside from the Christmas-y quotes that are, of course, hilarious and memorable, there are also several quotes from these movies that relate to our everyday lives. The boring errands, the emotional ups and downs, the way we need to handle the haters we encounter, the relationship drama we face, the positive thoughts we should hold onto, and most importantly, the food that we eat. And here they all are, gif-tastically gift-wrapped, just for you.
1. "Good news.... I saw a dog today." — Elf
There's a really good chance this will happen to you today too.
2. "I wish I had a million dollars... Hot dog!" — It's a Wonderful Life
Because that's the first thing I'd wish for after a million dollars.
3. "Bless this highly nutritious microwavable macaroni and cheese dinner and the people who sold it on sale. Amen." — Home Alone
Bless you, mac and cheese.
4. "Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest." — Charlie Brown
For anyone you run into who is too negative to deal with.
5. "A friend who bullies us is no longer a friend. And since bullies only respond to strength, from now onward I will be prepared to be much stronger." — Love Actually
Never let anyone, especially Billy Bob Thornton, push you around.
6. "That's the one good thing about regret: it's never too late. You can always change tomorrow if you want to." — Scrooged
*Insert clapping hands emoji* for these beautiful and true words.
7. "I TRIPLE-dog-dare you!" — A Christmas Story
Adults don't play truth or dare nearly enough.
8. "I just like to smile. Smiling's my favorite." — Elf
It is kind of the best.
9. "We need Kate, and we need Leo. And we need them now." — Love Actually
We will always need Kate and Leo. Always.
10. "That's one thing I hate! All the noise, noise, noise, noise!" — Grinch
That construction needs to start no earlier than 10 a.m., and those kids need to turn that music DOWN.
11. "Someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile." — Miracle on 34th Street
Never overlook those lovely intangibles.
12. "Not too hot. Extra chocolate. Shaken, not stirred." — The Santa Clause
How every beverage should be prepared.
13. "Oh, life is like that. Sometimes, at the height of our revelries, when our joy is at its zenith, when all is most right with the world, the most unthinkable disasters decend upon us." — A Christmas Story
A better way to say, "sh** just hit the fan."
14. "The thing about trains... it doesn't matter where they're going. What matters is deciding to get on." — Polar Express
Even when it isn't a train, always say yes to new experiences.
15. "Guys, I'm eating junk and watching rubbish! You better come out and stop me!" — Home Alone
What you said to your roommates every night this week...
16. "I know my package, perhaps in the light of day, isn't all that wonderful, but I finally know what I want and that, in itself, is a miracle." — The Holiday
Going after what you want will negate any insecure feels you might have.
17. "There are people who don't have enough to eat, there are people who are cold. You can go out and say hello to these people. You can take an old blanket out of the closet and go to them and say 'Here!,' you can make them a sandwich and say 'oh by the way, here!'" — Scrooged
Let's not forget this once the Christmas season ends.
18. "Later dudes! Let 'er rip, hang ten!" — National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Can we bring this phrase back, please?
19. "Enough. Enough now." — Love Actually
For when it's time to let go.
20. "I took a shower washing every body part with actual soap; including all my major crevices; including in between my toes and in my belly button, which I never did before but sort of enjoyed. I washed my hair with adult formula shampoo and used cream rinse for that just-washed shine. I can't seem to find my toothbrush, so I'll pick one up when I go out today. Other than that, I'm in good shape." — Home Alone
Sometimes, it's just good to know that you have everything under control.