Winter really is a whimsical time — if these impassioned winter quotes are any indication. I mean, the number of Christmas songs and holiday movies alone are enough to give you an idea of what the cold months mean to people. But as a native Californian, it’s sometimes easy for me to forget that winter doesn’t begin or end with Christmas.
After the holidays have come and gone and the New Year’s Eve cocktails have all been finished off, basically the entire rest of the country inevitably will be hit with some variation of a Polar Vortex and will have to hunker down for at least two more months of really, really cold days. But because I’ve never had the experience of waking up to freshly fallen snow, that sort of winter has always seemed quite romantic.
To me, the idyllic winter includes ice skating in Central Park, getting all bundled up to have a snowball fight with your friends, and curling up by a roaring fire to read a great book. Sure, winter can seem more treacherous than picturesque to some, but try to embrace it — because it's coming whether you're ready or not. So, grab yourself a spot of tea or a boozy hot chocolate, and celebrate the beginning of winter with these wintertide-inspired quotes.
1. "You can't get too much winter in the winter." —Robert Frost
2. "Winter is coming." — George R. R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
3. "The pine stays green in winter... wisdom in hardship." — Norman Douglas
4. “Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.” ― Edith Sitwell
5. “I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says 'Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.'” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass
6. “The cold never bothered me anyway.” — Elsa, Frozen
7. "Let us love winter, for it is the spring of genius." — Pietro Aretino
8. "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." — Albert Camus
9. “To appreciate the beauty of a snow flake, it is necessary to stand out in the cold.” — Unknown
10. "One kind word can warm three winter months." — Japanese proverb
11. "Winter dressing is all about having chic outerwear." — George Kotsiopoulos
12. “What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
13. "Winter is nature's way of saying, 'Up yours.'" — Robert Byrne
14. "When it snows, you have two choices: shovel or make snow angels." — Unknown
Images: Giphy (14)