If you haven't seen the movie Almost Famous yet then you are officially out of excuses, because it is streaming on Netflix and it will solve pretty much any problem that you have in your human life. This year marks the 15th anniversary of the film that I have nicknamed the "HOLY CRAP!" film, because every other casual pan of the camera you'll see a big name celeb playing a little-known role: We've got some retro Zooey Deschanel, a young Kate Hudson in her breakout role, an almost unrecognizable Jimmy Fallon as the most lovably obnoxious manager ever, and a brief but impacting performance from Phillip Seymour Hoffman as Lester Bangs that will fill you with all kinds of nostalgia. Literally half of the actors in Almost Famous were, in fact, "almost famous" when this first came out.
But if you love this movie, you don't just love it for the quality throwback performances—you love it because of the way it will alternately make you laugh your ass off and then gut you right in the feels. You love it because it's a decidedly nontraditional coming-of-age story, but still manages to capture that universal feeling of struggling to find your place in the world; you love it because it still revs you up with a sense of adventure and purpose that only comes from following your passions.The protagonist William is everything you were (or wanted to be, at least) when you were growing up. Penny Lane is everything you simultaneously aspired to be and were terrified to become. William's mother is totally your mom or at least a pretty close approximation of her. The movie does an amazing job of not just making its characters very real, but making them all so relatable and understandable that you feel the full extent of their triumphs and disappointments, and are inspired to go on your own adventures after watching theirs.
I dare you to watch this movie and not aggressively find some outlet to follow your dreams the moment the credits roll. Here are all the timeless quotes from this movie that will inspire you:
1. "FECK YOU!" - Anita Miller
"She'll be back."
"WOOOOO HOOOOOO!" - Elaine and Anita
3. "One day you'll be cool." - Anita Miller
"You the star of your school?"
"They hate me."
"You'll meet them all again on their long journey to the middle." - Lester Bangs and William
5. "You gotta make your reputation on being honest and unmerciful." - Lester Bangs
6. "An entire generation of Cinderellas and there's no slipper coming." - Anita Miller
7. "Isn't it funny? The truth just sounds different." - Penny Lane
8. "I always tell the girls, never take it seriously, if ya never take it seriously, ya never get hurt, ya never get hurt, ya always have fun, and if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends." - Penny Lane
9. "All right. But I'm just going to say this, and I'm going to stand by it: You should be really proud of him. 'Cause I know men, and I'll bet you do too. And he respects women, and he likes women, and let's just pause and appreciate a man like that. I mean, you created him out of thin air, and you raised him right, he's having a great time, he's doing a good job, and don't worry - he's still a virgin. And we're all looking out for him. And that's more than I've ever even said to my own parents, so there you go ... This is the maid speaking, by the way." - Sapphire
10. "I'm never as good as when you're there." - Russell Hammond
11. "And you can tell Rolling Stone magazine that my last words were ... 'I'M ON DRUGS!!!!'" - Russell Hammond
"I have to go home.""You are home." - Penny and William
13. "Famous people are just more interesting." - Penny Lane
14. "I didn't invent the rainy day, man. I just own the best umbrella." - Dennis Hope
"'Rock 'n' roll can save the world'? 'The chicks are great'? I sound like a dick!""You are a dick." - Russell and Jeff
19. "Give me your address. I'm coming to you this time." - Russell Hammond
"I'm always home. I'm uncool.""Me too!" - Lester and William
21. "You look awful, but it's great. You're living your life." - Anita Miller
22. "It's all happening." - Penny Lane