Even if you, like myself, are far, far away from the French Quarter this year, you can still immerse yourself in all the sounds, tastes, and (duh) alcoholic bev-stylings of Mardi Gras. Or take a more academic approach to the holiday and indulge in a deep ponder over what possesses women to flash their breasts for beads... because as I always say, it’s best to combine feminist theory with about 15 to 20 shots of vodka — it really distills a highly complicated issue into something crystal clear! Ah, fun times.
Anyway, regardless of whether you’re celebrating Mardi Gras with boobs in or out, in New Orleans or waaaaay out of town, enjoy these 17 jazzy jams, channel the carnival spirit, and let the good times roll.
1. "Do Whatcha Wanna, Pt. 3" by Rebirth Brass Band
2. "Hurricane Season" by Trombone Shorty
3. "From the Corner to the Block" by Galactic feat. Juvenile
4. "Street Parade" by Earl King
5. "Go To The Mardi Gras" by Professor Longhair
6. "Walking To New Orleans" by Fats Domino
7. "Big Chief — Complete Version" by Professor Longhair
8. "It's Too Funky In Here" by James Brown
9. "Carnival Time" by Bo Dollis & The Wild Magnolias
10. "Rock, Boogie, Shout" by Buckwheat Zydeco
11. "Hey Pocky A-Way (Remastered Album Version)" by The Meters
12. "The Treme Song" by Treme Brass Band
13. "Funky Liza" by New Orleans Nightcrawlers
14. "Louisiana Fairytale" by Preservation Hall Jazz Band
15. "Cassanova" by Rebirth Brass Band
16. "My Feet Can't Fail Me Now" by The Dirty Dozen Brass Band
17. "Drop Me Off In New Orleans" by Kermit Ruffins
Pretty great tracks, right? Get New Orleans inside you... NOW.