It may seem like this brutally cold February is an endless winter we will never escape from, but fear not — spring will be here, one day. In the meantime, there's spring break, which is coming up faster than you think. In a few short weeks, you'll be able to take a break from school and work, head somewhere tropical and warm, and wear a bikini instead of eight layers, three pairs of socks, and snow boots. Well, hopefully you'll be able to do that.
For those of you who plan to spend spring break somewhere hot enough to hang on the beach all day, let me just first say how jealous as I am. Now let me say that you need to be prepared. It's most likely been months since you hung out in the sun all day long, and while the sand and the ocean is definitely preferable over snow and slush, it's still going to take a little bit of getting used to. That's where these hacks come in.
Make sure you have the best spring break vacation ever by learning a few little tricks to make the beach even more of a paradise than it already is. And even if you're not going somewhere warm this year and you're silently cursing me, just save these for the summer, which I promise will be here sooner than you think. Maybe. Hopefully.
1. Put your iPhone in a plastic sandwich baggie when you go to the beach
The touchscreen still works through the plastic, so you can use your phone without ruining it in sand and water.
2. Keep a bottle of baby powder close by to get rid of sand
It takes moisture off your skin and hair, making it easier for sand to fall off.
3. Hide money in a Chapstick tube
It's easy to carry around, and no one will look for it in there.
4. Hide alcohol in an empty sunscreen lotion container
This is perfect if you're not supposed to bring booze on the beach. Obviously make sure you clean it really well first.
5. Forgot aloe vera? Use yogurt
Putting plain cold yogurt on a sunburn for about 10 minutes will relieve the pain if you're in a pinch.
6. Is your bikini line irritated from shaving or waxing? Soothe it with chamomile tea
Chilled chamomile tea bags on the irritated area will get rid of redness.
7. Bring a pill container to hold any jewelry or small hair ties you aren't using
This will keep them organized so little things don't get lost in your beach bag.
8. Freeze your aloe vera in ice cube trays before you go out
When you get home, rub them on your skin to feel instantly refreshed.
9. Bring drinking straws in a travel toothbrush holder
Now you can drink in style!
10. Make your own ice pack by filling a freezer baggie with water, and then freeze it
Stick it in your cooler to keep drinks cold.
11. Sew pockets onto your beach towel
You can keep stuff in there AND weigh the towel down.
12. Hide a beer can or bottle in a big plastic cup
Drink out of it with a straw, and you're good to go!
13. Make a coconut spray to keep your hair frizz-free and hydrated
Mix coconut oil with lavender oil and water, and put it in a spray bottle to bring to the beach. Spray it on your wet hair to keep it looking fabulous.
14. Get natural highlights while relaxing at the beach
Use this tutorial and mix coconut oil, lemon juice, water, and salt to lighten hair. Put it in a braid for the best highlight results.
15. Keep your feet looking great with Vaseline or lotion
The beach and sand makes feet dry and gross. At night, put on Vaseline or lotion, then wear socks and go to sleep. In the morning, your feet will be good as new.
Images: Giphy (15)