Going Somewhere? Bustle's Packing Guide For Virtually Every Spring Destination
There are only two types of packers in the world — the over-packer and the under-packer. Either you're stuck lugging around a suitcase full of enough items to get you through a month abroad when you're only going on a weekend trip or you arrive at your destination and realize that you forgot your toothbrush and only have the underwear you're wearing. Regardless of which category you fall into, learning how to pack the right way for a variety of excursions is a life skill worth learning and proper planning will undoubtedly allow you to have a better time and look good while doing so. Because it's difficult to be confident in your look when you didn't even bring a hairbrush and equally frustrating to have a good time when you're carrying a 50-lb suitcase filled with ten pairs of shoes you're not going to wear.
Worried that old habits die hard? Fear not because Bustle and Lands' End have prepared a guide for getting it right no matter what the occasion. From weekend trips to the lake house to hiking the trails to just exploring your own hometown, we've compiled a list of the items that will keep you comfortable, entertained, and traveling in style. And while Bustle can't guarantee that you'll ever get it exactly right, we can guarantee that you'll most likely start packing the night before.
When you head to the beach, you have to be prepared for a day full of harsh elements like sun, sand, and water. Protect yourself by being well-prepared with a sunscreen containing high SPF, water-resistant technology, and of course, sunglasses and a hat. Interested in hitting the waves? Invest in a rash guard tee to protect yourself against the impact of the waves and provide some extra sun protection.
(1) Blue Man Printed Beach Bag, $135, (2) Sport Face Sunblock Lotion SPF 70+, $12, (3) Lands' End Straw Braid Belted Floppy Hat, $39, (4) The Girls from Corona del Mar by Rufi Thorpe, $19, (5) Lands' End AquaSport Triangle Bikini Top and Low Waist Bikini Bottoms in Black/Cloud Blue, $80, (6) AquaSport Crop Rash Guard, $39, (7) Belize Cover-Up Tunic, $75, (8) Sugar Lip Treatment SPF 15, $23, (9) (10) Lands' End School Living Vertical Rugby Stripe Beach Towel, $29, (11) Rainbow Sandals Twisted Sister in Classic Tan Brown, $54, (12) Dried Pineapple Rings, $13, (13) Olympus Stylus TOUGH TG-3 Digital Camera in Red, $349
A hike in the woods will bring you a host of different experiences in terms of sun exposure and temperature. For changes in weather to terrain, we recommend that your attire is moisture-resistant, lightweight, and bright in color for visibility. And please, trail warrior, play it safe by bringing a flashlight and first aid kit along!
(1) North Face 'Rucksack' Water Repellant Backpack, $109, (2) Lands' End Activewear Shorts, $25, (3) Apple 16GB iPod nano, $149, (4) Modcloth Parks and Trek Top, $35, (5) Lands' End Coastal Spirit Mid Bottom Bikini Bottom in Black, $39, (6) Justin's Almond Butter, Maple, 10 Count, $13, (7) Fenix LD02 EDC Flashlight, $35, (8) Coleman Outdoor Essentials First Aid Kit, $5, (9) California by Edan Lepucki, $22 (audiobook), (10) S'well Wood Collection Water Bottle in Teakwood, $45, (11) Lands' End Swim Tee Rash Guard in Neon Solid, $35, (12) Yurbuds Signature Series Earbuds, $15, (13) Danner Mountain Light Cascade Hiking Boots, $199
It's only natural for you to aspire to look like a native of whatever glamorous European locale you're jetting off to, but we'd recommend that the best style strategy is to keep it simple with neutral colors and wardrobe staples that you'll be able to mix and match throughout your trip.
(1) Fossil Estate E/W City Bag in Cognac, $228, (2) MAC Lipstick in Russian Red, $16, (3) Biltmore & Madewell Floppy Felt Hat, $75, (4) Michelin Green Guide, Paris, $16, (5) Choie's Black Button Front Denim Shorts, $24, (6) Warby Parker Neville Sunglasses, $95, (7) Zara Off-The-Shoulder Sweater, $50, (8) Lancôme Bienfait Teinté Beauty Balm Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30, $45, (9) Olympus E-PL7 16MP Compact System Camera, $699, (10) Olivia Burton Mind The Wrap Watch, $137, (11) Lands' End Blaine Open Toe Flats, $69
Lake house excursions are casual by nature so pack accordingly. You'll likely be on the water and on land, so make sure you bring a coverup that can protect against sun exposure by day and keep you warm at the campfire by night.
(1) Henri Bendel Zip Around Packable Backpack, $38, (2) Southern Charmed Life Chevron Monogram Can Koozi, $7, (3), Lands' End 5" Women's Fit 1 Chino Shorts, $39, (4) What You Left Behind by Samantha Hayes, $25, (5), Ray Ban Original Fleck Green Classic G-15, $165, (6) Burton Process Negani Fleece, $74.96, (7) Wind ‘N Go Hand Crank Mini LED Lantern, $19.99, (8) Lands’ End Women’s Beach Living Embroidered Adjustable Scoop Bikini Top and Mid Waist Bikini Bottom in Stripe, $65 and $49, (9), Lands’ End Women’s Swim Tee Rash Guard in Colorblock Multi Stripe, $39
Have a free weekend and no time to leave the city? Why not take advantage of your own hometown and explore its parks and museums? Bring along your perfect lunch in a cute picnic basket and you're good for a entire day out of your apartment.
(1) Picnic Time Oxford Picnic Basket Set, $78.76, (2) Olivia Burton Winter Garden Floral Oversize Dial Watch, $134, (3) Lands' End Women's Fedora, $39, (4) Aveda ‘Sun Care’ Protective Hair Veil, $28, (5) We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, $17.99, (6) Contigo 20 oz. Purity Glass Water Bottle, $14.99, (7) Benefit Cosmetics Benetint, $30, (8) Aframes Cameroon in Mint Green, $200, (9) Lands' End Casual Lace Slip-on Shoes, $69, (10) Not For Tourists Guide To New York City 2015, around $10, (11) Mara Hoffman for J. Crew Parrot Romper, $185, (12) Deluxe Malvern Bamboo Cheese Board With Stainless Steel Tools, $78.20, (13) Kate Spade Grass Is Greener Picnic Blanket, $45
This post is sponsored by Lands' End.