What Emojis Are Missing From Apple's New Update? There Are Several Crucial Omissions
Many are rejoicing over the release of Apple iOS 8.3 and the 300 glorious new emojis the update comes with, but we're not all celebrating. Sure, the new racially diverse characters are a landmark step for the tech company and society as a whole, but once the confetti settles, you might notice that there are still some glaring absences. Besides the lack of minority and multiracial families, here are all the crucial emojis missing from Apple's 300 new additions.
Let's reiterate that Apple's addition of race- and LGBT-friendly emojis is great news. Now there a variety of same-sex families (albeit all white as of now), men and women of all different skin tones (including the people surfing, swimming, and bathing, etc.). Even the man wearing the traditional Asian hat was tweaked so that his eyes were uniform with the rest of the characters, instead of stereotypically Asian. They might be cartoons used for texting, but these new emojis represent important strides being made for the sake of human progress.
However. The job is not done. We're not trying to be greedy or anything; we just want what was promised to us. Back in June, software text regulator Unicode Consortium announced that it had added 250 new emojis into its emojipedia. While that lot failed to represent racially diverse people, it did promise some rather enticing offerings, many of which we did not get with our Apple update on Wednesday. Such as?
- Cloud With Tornado
- Wind Blowing Face
- Fork And Knife With Plate
- Beach With Umbrella
- Derelict House Building
- Dove Of Peace
- Black Skull And Crossbones
- Sleuth Or Spy
- Envelope With Lightning
- Reversed Victory Hand
- Dagger Knife
- Lightning Mood
- Couch And Lamp
But most importantly:
- Man In Business Suit Levitating
Where is he??
And these are just the ones that Unicode had added to its inventory. Beyond these, there are countless, limitless emojis just waiting to be created and used in texting, Instagramming, and emoji art. Like what, for example? (By the way, you can stop shouting "taco" — I know, OK?) Here are some emojis that should exist, and it's a crime that they don't.
- Tacos (Wanna see unanimity in Congress? Introduce the taco emoji bill.)
- A Finger Pointing At You (There are fingers pointing in every direction except toward you, Uncle Sam style)
- The Meh Shrug (Because it's probably the emotion we feel the most and there's no way for us to communicate it using emojis)
- A Completed High Five Between Two People (Right now, the closest thing is the prayer palms, but that could easily send the wrong message)
- The Bored Boy And Girl (Another emotion we feel throughout the day, every day)
- Sea Otters (Because sea otters)
- Lion (They're only the king of the jungle, NBD)
- Deer (Because they're a little more relevant to our lives than the two types of dragons available)
- An Actual Bird In Flight (You try doing an emoji nature scene with the bird heads they currently offer)
In general, the emoji bank is missing a whole lot of foods, which I don't think need any explanation, so I'm just going to fire them off. Ready?
- Meat Loaf
- Club Sandwich
- Pie (nope, there's not even pie)
- Ice Cream Sundae
- Philly Cheese Steak
- Hot Pocket
- Bagel With Cream Cheese
- Hot Dog (this one is a legit crime)
- Corn Dog
- Funnel Cake
- Bacon (MAJOR oversight)
- Whole Roast Chicken
- Whole Roast Turkey
- Honey-Baked Ham
- Breakfast Sausages
- A Whole Pizza
- Salad (just so it's not left out)