With high school and college reunions right around the corner, many of us will enter our former schools (or designated bars or hotels) filled with apprehension. Surviving a high school reunion may seem like an impossible task. Have we made enough of ourselves to impress our peers? Will the classmates who made our lives a living hell be there? And, most importantly, "Which one of these guys will I have sex with at the reunion?" (Picture that last one chanted as you open and close an origami fortune teller. Also, picture that you're Lisa Kudrow chanting to Mira Sorvino in the front seat of a Jaguar. There you go.) The 1997 movie Romy and Michele's High School Reunion addresses all these concerns in a way you definitely haven't heard before — because if there's anything we can say about the eponymous protagonists, it's that they put their own unique spin on things. In case you haven't seen the movie, here's a short synopsis (spoiler alert): Two best friends receive invitations to their 10-year high school reunion. Lacking noteworthy jobs or lives, they decide to pretend they've invented a popular household product with a little-known history: the Post-It. After a bizarre series of dream sequences, romantic rendezvous with former classmates, and face-offs with popular girls, Romy and Michele finally realize they were happy with their lives until they decided they weren't supposed to be. They fly off in a helicopter, and live happily ever after. (But seriously, just watch the movie.)Since these women ended up killing it at their reunion, maybe we can all borrow some advice from them to make our reunions memorable — in a good way, of course.
1. Take the opportunity to reminisce about the good times...
There's always a silver lining.
2. ...and commiserate about the bad times.
It's nice to have someone on your side.
3. Make sure you have some cutting-edge technology on hand to break the ice
The movie may be from the 90s, but the characters were unmistakably stuck in the 80s.
4. If you run out of witty things to say, just act super interested in everyone else, and they'll probably forget all about your uninteresting life
Even if there's literally nothing interesting about their lives either.
5. It's time to squash those mean girls' lingering superiority complexes
Hey, it's something they could stand to ask themselves.
6. And here's a comeback for the people rubbing their families in your face
I mean, that could be cute.
7. Taking the high road and walking away is also an option
Though a far less fun option.
8. Don't let anyone stop you from tearing up the dance floor... your way
Even if your way requires dragging your best friend along for ballet-inspired choreography to 80s music.
9. This is your night, so don't let anyone hate on your happy
As long as you're having a blast, you've won, no matter what anyone says.
10. If all this sounds like way too much to bother with, there's always your couch and laptop
In keeping with the occasion, you can put on Romy and Michele's High School Reunion, and partake in Romy's "fat-free diet" of gummy bears, jelly beans, and candy corn.
Images: Giphy (10)